Computer Spook

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
What can be causing a hibernated PC to turn itself on? The last two nights my wifes PC has been hibernated when we go to bed and we have found it on in the morning. Can this be coming from the internet connection. I just transitioned from dial up internet to cable internet about 3 or 4 days ago. The microsoft firewall is on and it does have AVG virus protection.

What can be causing a hibernated PC to turn itself on? The last two nights my wifes PC has been hibernated when we go to bed and we have found it on in the morning. Can this be coming from the internet connection. I just transitioned from dial up internet to cable internet about 3 or 4 days ago. The microsoft firewall is on and it does have AVG virus protection.

Yeah...among other things you can check the PC's setup (hit F12 or whatever at boot) and see if WOL, "Wake On LAN" is turned on. Turn it off. With that on any traffic on the network for the PC will turn it on. I don't think it'll respond to broadcasts, though.

There are others things that can optionally wake the PC, including the modem. Check the options.

Yeah...among other things you can check the PC's setup (hit F12 or whatever at boot) and see if WOL, "Wake On LAN" is turned on. Turn it off. With that on any traffic on the network for the PC will turn it on. I don't think it'll respond to broadcasts, though.

There are others things that can optionally wake the PC, including the modem. Check the options.

Spot on....I was going to say the same thing!

Also, a number of programs, including many antivirus programs and Windows itself, will periodically go out to check for updates. Oftentimes you can configure when that is scheduled to happen. I admit, though, that I'm not sure if that'll bring it out of hibernation.

"Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated"

Back