Computer Simulated Tuft Testing?

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
Does anyone know of any home computer simulation programs that will do tuft testing of a light, single engine, high wing airplane as it flies at various angles of attack? Would need to be able to input the wing characteristics, of course.
Not talking about cameras or other recording devices- talking about computers.
TIA

Hmmm, sounds like a very interesting CFD project. Are you wanting to simulate the entire aircraft or just a 2D cross section of the wing?

Hi Jim.
It may not be exactly what you want, you can get a free demo to try it out, but look at a Flight sim called Xplane and look at some of the Menu options it has and see if that helps. TV

I wanted just the wing and vertical and horizontal stabilizers. The XPlane idea sounds interesting. I wonder if I have my old copy any more? :)

Hi Jim.
The latest version has better interface, in / outs / record / save data etc. You can get the demo, time limited to 10 min., otherwise full / mostly feature.
I do not like the way the light GAs behave in Xwind in that sim and hardly use it. Maybe one day they will get serious about it. Just about every light bird has to be modified to behave half way decent in Xwind on the ground.
It has better analyzing tools than most. There are some Professional sims that may be better, but this this is a good start. TV

Back