Computer Display Help Needed

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
My Lenovo Thinkpad lap top, which is 3 or 4 years old, just flipped the display upside down. It was OK, then the screen went black for a few seconds and came back inverted. I rebooted it and it initially showed right side up but went inverted again before it completed start-up. :idea:Anyone have any ideas/knowledge? Maybe it just decided to display aerobatic tendencies - but it isn't wearing a parachute!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

The term is "reverted", not "inverted". I don't know how I got there but by right clicking on the desk top and selecting "Graphic Options", I select "Normal" and it goes back to right side up.

Last edited:
WAG here, virus or practical jokester around that installed something on your laptop.

Get a Mac... :cornut:

Seriously, I typed windows upside down display in Google, and I'll be darned, came up with several hits.

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/q_and_a/2006/06/windows-display-upside-down

Looks like CTRL-ALT-UP ARROW will also do the trick. Was someone (a cat, maybe?) pounding away on the keyboard?

Article also mentions a virus is possible, so check it out to be safe.

Get a Mac... :cornut:

Seriously, I typed windows upside down display in Google, and I'll be darned, came up with several hits.

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/q_and_a/2006/06/windows-display-upside-down

Looks like CTRL-ALT-UP ARROW will also do the trick. Was someone (a cat, maybe?) pounding away on the keyboard?

Article also mentions a virus is possible, so check it out to be safe.

Wow, that does work... Never seen that before.

CTRL-ALT-DOWN ARROW makes it flip upside down, CTRL-ALT-UP ARROW puts it back normal orientation. Not all video chipsets support it. What's the application?

Virus scan showed nothing. I think it was just clumsy fingers on the keyboard someway. I'm not sure that I'm glad it is solved. Might have been the final straw to push me into getting a new computer.

Last edited:
Wow, that does work... Never seen that before.

CTRL-ALT-DOWN ARROW makes it flip upside down, CTRL-ALT-UP ARROW puts it back normal orientation. Not all video chipsets support it. What's the application?
Probably intended for video projector use.

WAG here, virus or practical jokester around that installed something on your laptop.

We haven't done that since the DOS version of "flip." "Drip" was fun, too. It made the letters drip down the screen like raindrops.

Clumsy fingers. Try hitting CNTL and ARROW UP.

Check you DISPLAY properties for hints. Under SETTINGS, check ADVANCED. You might have that function switched on.

I just found this on my new desktop pretty much the same way. I'm guessing it was a recent software update.

Back