CompuServe - so long

That's a short one. I maintained and updated one years ago that ran about 5000 lines of code. And I would have gotten SPICE up and running on Tandem systems except that our software people wouldn't add extentions to the compiler, simple things like REAL*8! I thought that was part of the language and not an extention. The Tandem compiler was the first one I ran into that didn't support it. SPICE is written in FORTRAN.

Somewhere in my box of rags in the basement I think I have a SPICE t-shirt.

Radio Shack, Sinclair, CP/M, Timex, cassette tapes, PDP systems where you had to flip the switches on the front in order to load a program, paper tape, punch cards, teletypes, portable hard disks that were 14" diameter and had capacities of KBytes, clock cycles in the millisecond range, processors/compilers/assemblers that couldn't handle floating point math: Moore's Law may be wearing out, but it sure worked well for a long time.

I used ARPANET to play the game of life. We had no monitor so each generation was printed out on teletype paper.

Compuserve, PDP11, Digital Vax, IBM 360, UNIVAC, punched cards, some devices were booted using a reel of paper tape.

Trs80, CP/M, Apple integer machine, Newton, Grafitti,

I do miss the days of EaasySABRE.... very powerful if you knew what you were doing, and LOTS of options that the dumb web interfaces don't have.

Second this, and third this...
Real time availability and fares (Including Zed's) without have to pay two cents a keystroke to Sabre or WorldSpan

You guys and all of your “I remeber when...” posts. Ha! I know of a bird from Arizona that says he remembers the Internet before Amazon. Beat that!

Actually, my original screen name here (before @eman1200 rebranded me) WAS my AOL, and AS/400 login! I thought it was my compuserve too but I was mistaken.

I never had an acoustic modem, though. I got into PC's when 1200 baud and half height drives were king and we were all super excited about RGB monitors.

Last edited:
I still remember my Dad's UID: 76044,1046

I first thought of being a pilot back in middle school, and asked about the profession on a CompuServe message board. Got a fantastic answer from a UPS DC-8 Captain, and we still keep in contact to this day. Good memories from those message boards - the signal to noise ratio was much higher back then.

Back