Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FlightGear

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlightGear
Hey there!

I just developed an Android app for pilots and it's going to be out on the Google Play store around tomorrow night. I decided that now would be a good time to get a feel for how much pilots like yourself would be willing to pay for my app:

FEATURES:

1. Attitude Indicator (Using internal gyro, works accurately plus or minus 1 degree).

2. Heading Indicator

3. Flight Timer

4. Fuel Timer (Enter the amount of fuel in your tanks and your plane's GPH value and it'll start a countdown timer until your tanks are empty. Also includes a 30min warning notification and a "fuel out" notification with vibrate, sound, etc.)

5. Converters (Distance, speed)

6. Convert gallons and liters of fuel (Jet A1, Jet A, and AVGAS 100LL) to lbs and kgs of other fuel types.

7. ATC Notepad (Conveniently record altitude, speed, squawk codes, and heading) using voice recognition. Simply hit the record button whenever you get a call from ATC and everything you read back to them will be transcribed into text on your device.

8. CG Calculator (when I tested it out, it cut down my CG Calculation time in about half, as opposed to doing it by hand).

So how much would you guys be willing to pay for my app? I'm thinking of about $4.99 right now. Please be honest! Thanks! :D

Also, if you guys have any more suggestions in terms of features that I could add, I would love to hear them. The more features my app has, the better!

I'd pay more for an app like this on Windows 8 / Windows RT store :) Heck, i'll even help you setup a kickstarter to fund the project if you wish

Hmmm, Windows 8 will probably end up being on my to-do list. But my app is currently finished (releasing today, will post a new thread with the link later today) for Android. My next step would then be to use that revenue to port it to iOS and definitely Windows 8. That's probably still a month or two away though. Glad you like the app though.

Will it come with a free trial?
Honestly I have most or all of this data already, but a consolidated source might be nice.

30 day free trial.

I like the recording feature, but we need to record what ATC says also.

Not more than $2.

Jhmo

Yes it will come with a free trial (you will be able to use each feature 3 times before the app asks you to upgrade). I understand that you guys probably want the free trial because you want to see what the app looks like/decide whether or not it will suit your needs. I'll be posting up a YouTube demo of my app soon to help you guys out with this.

I tried to record what ATC was saying (by using cockpit speakers), but unfortunately the relatively poor radio quality and the background engine noises flood out my app's voice recognition system. Also just to make it clear, the ATC feature is still in Beta (I'm nearly done with getting it to accurately figure out aviation lingo), so there may be minor errors during the transcription process. For example, whenever I say "niner", the app notes it down as "nine earth". An update will fix this soon though.

Hmmm $2? Honestly, I feel that may be a bit too cheap. I understand that you guys haven't seen my app yet so it's almost like you're all trying to find a needle in the dark (no offense haha). Of course, if after seeing my app you still feel that $2 is justified, then I will completely respect your opinions.

I searched up a few existing aviation apps on the Google Play store and this is what I came up with:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hcHB2ZW50aXZlLndiLmZ1bGwiXQ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5iYmZsaWdodC5mbGlnaHRpbnN0cnVtZW50cyJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hdmlsdXRpb24uZTZiIl0.

All those apps combined cost about $20. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my app is going to bring together all the features of those individual apps (and more) while keeping the cost at a reasonable price. What do you guys think? And again, I realize that you can't really make a decision without seeing my app firsthand (I can't post screenshots here for some reason). Thanks for your opinions btw, they're really helpful to me. :)

I like the record feature, however pushing another button to enable the recording function will probably not interest me

you could go to LiveATC for real time communications. You with have lingo and speed to work with.

I like the record feature, however pushing another button to enable the recording function will probably not interest me
on a few iOS apps that do a record function (Cloud Ahoy for one), they have the ability to trigger the recording feature based on either ground speed or altitude. This might be worth considering for the app under discussion here if that's possible on android

Back