Composite to HDMI interface question (NA)

I listened to the built-in speakers today at Best Buy. They're not the greatest, and require the volume to be turned up fairly high, but I think they'll be tolerable, especially since I'll be sitting < 10 feet from the set. Also, I rent DVDs from Netflix and may someday go with the streaming option. I bought the two units in the links I posted. If I change my mind re: the audio I can always get a sound bar later.

Thanks to all for your help.

I listened to the built-in speakers today at Best Buy. They're not the greatest, and require the volume to be turned up fairly high, but I think they'll be tolerable, especially since I'll be sitting < 10 feet from the set. Also, I rent DVDs from Netflix and may someday go with the streaming option. I bought the two units in the links I posted. If I change my mind re: the audio I can always get a sound bar later.

Thanks to all for your help.

Enjoy the new toys!

Enjoy the new toys!
Thanks. I'm sure I will come next Wednesday, when I have my appointment for them to come and install the DVR/set top box. Apparently they don't have them on hand and have to order them. Also I'd never get my massive old CRT set off the stand by myself, so no hope of watching DVDs on the new toys in the meantime. Oh well, an-ti-ci-paaaaa-tion... making me wait...

Update and pirep: the cable company was over yesterday to set up my cable box and I had my first chance to use the new "toys". Some first impressions:

Picture - great. Definition is much better than on my old analog set even on non-HD channels and superb on HD channels. Some channels transmit a smaller picture size in a different aspect ratio, which can be expanded to fill the screen but not without picture distortion (as I would expect). Default colors are unnaturally vivid and the default brightness is excessive, but these were easily adjusted.

Sound - surprisingly not tinny at all, in fact better bass response than my old set. Also doesn't require cranking up the volume, a surprise after my experience in the store. A lot depends on the room where you'll be using the set, apparently, or else the display model had a faulty speaker. Anyone looking to make the same move, I'd recommend trying a set in your living room before springing for a sound bar, you may not need it.

Ease of use - no issues. Only minor annoyance so far is that it does not seem to be possible to turn off the set when watching a DVD without also turning off the Blu-ray player, and similarly turning on the Blu-ray player or even just plopping in a disc causes the TV source to switch to the player's input. I'm sure that's intended for convenience, but there are times it won't be.

Overall, very positive impression, no regrets at all.

Ease of use - no issues. Only minor annoyance so far is that it does not seem to be possible to turn off the set when watching a DVD without also turning off the Blu-ray player, and similarly turning on the Blu-ray player or even just plopping in a disc causes the TV source to switch to the player's input. I'm sure that's intended for convenience, but there are times it won't be.

Sounds like 'CEC' is activated (different companies, different names). It is a protocol that allows the different devices to control each other, e.g. the volume control on the DVD controls the TV and a start/stop button on the TV controls the DVD playback. You could go into the configuration and disable it.

...Some channels transmit a smaller picture size in a different aspect ratio, which can be expanded to fill the screen but not without picture distortion (as I would expect)...
That's one of the concerns I have: finding a model with enough flexibility to allow me to correct all the different ways that channels have found to screw up the size and aspect ratio.

Sounds like 'CEC' is activated (different companies, different names). It is a protocol that allows the different devices to control each other, e.g. the volume control on the DVD controls the TV and a start/stop button on the TV controls the DVD playback. You could go into the configuration and disable it.
Yep, that was it. Found it in the BD setup. They called it "Anynet+ (HDMI/CEC)". Thanks. :)

Last edited:
That's one of the concerns I have: finding a model with enough flexibility to allow me to correct all the different ways that channels have found to screw up the size and aspect ratio.
This model has 16:9, 4:3, "wide fit", "screen fit", and "Custom". Haven't figured out yet how to "customize" my picture settings. But obviously if the aspect ratio doesn't match your screen, there will either be clipping, unused screen area, or distortion. So far "screen fit" seems to be a good setting for movies on DVD and "wide fit" or 16:9 works well for HD channels over cable.

Oh BTW, I haven't seen a single dropout since going digital. Seems the cable company was right, apparently a problem somewhere in their analog system.

There's just no avoiding it when the new screens are 16:9 and the old content is 4:3. They give you options so you can pick what you prefer.

I lean toward "purist". I don't "stretch" old content or try to make it anything it wasn't. Some people like the various stretched modes. I just live with the pillarboxing necessary, which wastes some screen real estate.

Other folks like to do the stretch thing. Or the modified stretch thing where the center is less stretched than the content near the edges. (Not sure on your set, but that's the difference between "wide fit" and "screen fit" I suspect.) I don't like how either one look. Would rather see what the original was intended to look like, myself.

This model has 16:9, 4:3, "wide fit", "screen fit", and "Custom". Haven't figured out yet how to "customize" my picture settings. But obviously if the aspect ratio doesn't match your screen, there will either be clipping, unused screen area, or distortion. So far "screen fit" seems to be a good setting for movies on DVD and "wide fit" or 16:9 works well for HD channels over cable.

Every manufacturer means something different with "custom" so I won't even bother on that one.

Most DVD stuff will be 4:3 but there's also the evil DVDs that were letterboxed to 16:9... Those look awful on a real 16:9 set because you pillarbox to 4:3 and then that is also letterboxed. Ick.

Also I suspect if you check the manual, "wide fit" probably reverts to native 16:9 when you select a true 16:9 source like the cable channels. There's nothing to "fit", so to speak. So it goes to sleep essentially.

Want to get really weird? My satellite box can do Picture in Picture. Overlaid is normal, but it can also do side-by-side. In that mode the whole screen becomes letterboxed, but there's two 16:9 pictures side by side with a small black border line down the center and around the outside. Haha.

Wastes a lot of space, but it's great for watching a football game continuously on one side and Red Zone channel on the other!

You'll find settings you like, and nobody really agrees on what they like. But after a while messing with the setting becomes a novelty except in weird cases where you're watching something oddball that works best with a particular format, and you end up leaving it all in your usual favorite mode.

Have fun playing with it all. Next step, BluRay! Heh.

(Honestly I haven't bothered doing BluRay. We have a small but cherished collection of favorite DVDs that I don't feel like replacing, some of which will never have BluRay replacements anyway.)

You'll find settings you like, and nobody really agrees on what they like. But after a while messing with the setting becomes a novelty except in weird cases where you're watching something oddball that works best with a particular format, and you end up leaving it all in your usual favorite mode
Like I wrote, the optimal setting seems to vary with the type of media. I haven't tried a Blu-ray yet though.

Have fun playing with it all. Next step, BluRay! Heh.

(Honestly I haven't bothered doing BluRay. We have a small but cherished collection of favorite DVDs that I don't feel like replacing, some of which will never have BluRay replacements anyway.)
Not sure why you'd have to replace your DVDs. AFAIK all Blu-ray players play DVDs, and they're relatively cheap. So far that's all I've been watching on it, DVDs. The definition obviously isn't HD, but it looks pretty good even on this set.

Though I've found one gotcha that's a bit more than a minor annoyance: this player sucks at remembering where you stopped and frequently starts playing as though you had just loaded the DVD, including making you sit through the company header and anti-piracy warning. Unlike my old player, that ALWAYS happens if you eject the disc, and sometimes happens if you come back to it the next day. And if you stop at a title menu, it will start from load as well if the player is turned off - and it has a power saving "feature" (apparently) that causes it to shut off automatically after some time that's much less than 24 hours. So far I haven't found any setting to change these behaviors.

My old player could remember the current DVD and the last one played too, even through power off. Seems like it would be a simple matter of adding a bit more nonvolatile memory. Why has technology taken a step backward here?

Why has technology taken a step backward here?

Probably both to annoy normal folk at the expense of pirates, and to be cheap. Hah. Our two players (a cheap one on the house TV and the one that came in the fifth wheel trailer) both do that also.

Back