Complex Endorsement

"I don't always fly the DA-40, but when I do, I have excellent availability. Stay current my friends!" - Kent

:rofl:

I received my Complex endorsement yesterday after 3.5 flight hours in PA-28R and some ground work. At one point I elected to go around twice in a row and the tower controller remarked: "Good thing you are not in a glider".

Last edited:
I received my Complex endorsement yesterday in PA-28R after 3.5 flight hours and some ground work. At one point I elected to go around twice in a row and the tower controller remarked: "Good thing you are not in a glider".

I had a student who did two go-arounds - one forced by me (I didn't like him heading for trees) one on his own (he didn't like him heading for trees).

Yes, sometimes it's good to not be in a glider.

Finished high performance endorsement today. Mechanic fixed oil pressure gauge and replaced mixture cable. Did some T&Gs and simulated emergencies. To summarize:
1. Homework - Airplane Flying Handbook, Pelican Perch's articles at avweb, POH.
2. 30 minutes ground session. Reviewed principles of operation of constant speed prop, performance, power settings for different stages of flight, emergency procedures. That was really quick because of time invested in #1
3. 2 hours of flight time. Can be done faster but it never hurts to fly with CFI, pick up new tricks and polish old ones :)

Finished high performance endorsement today. Mechanic fixed oil pressure gauge and replaced mixture cable. Did some T&Gs and simulated emergencies. To summarize:
1. Homework - Airplane Flying Handbook, Pelican Perch's articles at avweb, POH.
2. 30 minutes ground session. Reviewed principles of operation of constant speed prop, performance, power settings for different stages of flight, emergency procedures. That was really quick because of time invested in #1
3. 2 hours of flight time. Can be done faster but it never hurts to fly with CFI, pick up new tricks and polish old ones :)

Sounds great, and like time well spent!

I just checked my logbook and I see that endorsement has an expiration date. What does it mean? Do I need to get endorsement again when this one expired?

I just checked my logbook and I see that endorsement has an expiration date. What does it mean? Do I need to get endorsement again when this one expired?

That's... Odd. Did the CFI write that in? They don't normally expire.

• Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

One-time endorsement cannot expire I believe:no:
FAR section 61.31

Last edited:

That's... Odd. Did the CFI write that in? They don't normally expire.

He put 01/13 in expiration date:confused:
It is the instructor's CFI expiration date, a required thing an instructor writes on every endorsement, look in your logbook at other entries. Your instructor's CFI certificate will expire in 01/2013 unless he renews it.

Your complex endorsement does not expire.

A complex endorsement should look like:
I certify that (First name, MI, Last name), (pilot certificate), (certificate number), has received the required training of section 61.31(e) in a (make and model of complex airplane). I have determined that he/she is proficient in the operation and systems of a complex airplane.
/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-05

See AC 61-65E

Last edited:
Thanks all for the great information. I just started my High Performance/Complex training today in a 182RG. I can tell straight away that 1) I'm really going to like this plane and 2) It will be hard to go back to 172's after this. :)

Thanks all for the great information. I just started my High Performance/Complex training today in a 182RG. I can tell straight away that 1) I'm really going to like this plane and 2) It will be hard to go back to 172's after this. :)

That's the problem with it. On one hand C182 is a kind of bigger/faster C172 but on the other hand you're getting much capable/bigger bird. Once you get used to it it is hard to go back to the smaller airplane after that.

Back