Complex Endorsement Needed?

Tester130

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tester130
I've searched around and haven't found an answer to this specific questions so I apologize if this has already been answered someplace before.

I'm a military (Navy) helicopter pilot and did all my flight training in a T-34 including solos. I'm planning on flying my father-in-laws Piper Arrow (P-28R) to build some fixed wing PIC hours. Do I specifically need a complex endorsement or will my T-34 solo endorsement in my military log book suffice as it was also complex?

You need an endorsement unless you are grandfathered under 61.31(e)(2):
(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.

I do have a commercial certificate for SEL and MEL as well as rotorcraft/helicopters. I'm also a CFI/CFII for helicopters (not that it helps me much when it comes to fixed wing flights).

Possession of the commercial airplane demonstrates meeting complex requirements.
Is your T-34 solo endorsement signed by an FAA CFI?
Oh, wait! if u did T-34s in Primary, you did it before 74, you're grandfathered in.

Lol, I'm not that old. And unfortunately I would not fall under the grandfather clause. The Navy was flying T-34C Turbo Mentors well into the 2000's. I guess I caused some confusion by just referring to the plane as a T-34. My T-34C solo endorsement is a line in my military log books so not an FAA certified CFI.

I've searched around and haven't found an answer to this specific questions so I apologize if this has already been answered someplace before.

I'm a military (Navy) helicopter pilot and did all my flight training in a T-34 including solos. I'm planning on flying my father-in-laws Piper Arrow (P-28R) to build some fixed wing PIC hours. Do I specifically need a complex endorsement or will my T-34 solo endorsement in my military log book suffice as it was also complex?

So you flew the T34C, have the military competency. I believe you don't require an endorsement but I'm not 100% sure. Where are you at now? A call to the FSDO nearest you, actually I guess any of them, and one the FAA dudes should be able to give you an answer. Or maybe someone in your squadron who gives checks?

I know that Air Force pilots get a commercial ME (center line thrust limitation) with instrument ticket from flight training, so seems it would be the same for you, except it probably would be SE.

Thank you all for the replies. I think it might be a call to the FSDO to be sure. I, like most guys in training, went to the FSDO after I winged and took a test to receive the commercial SEL and Helicopter certificates. We trained and soloed in the T-34C (complex, high power) so I assumed that the endorsements were implied with the commercial SEL, but you only can be so sure when assuming things. I'll post a reply after I talk with the FSDO.

Afaik, the commercial ticket is effectively a complex endorsement, as you cannot get it without a complex airplane. However, I don't think it automatically covers high performance, as it is very possible to get both se and me commercial tickets without ever flying a high performance airplane.

Seems the T34C would fit the definition as a complex, HP plane. Plus it's a turbo prop. Ask about that too Tester when you call the Feds.

Afaik, the commercial ticket is effectively a complex endorsement, as you cannot get it without a complex airplane.
If the commercial counted as a complex endorsement, the reg would so state.

I know quite a few people who got their commercial certificate without flying a complex airplane...it's a relatively recent requirement.

If the commercial counted as a complex endorsement, the reg would so state.

I know quite a few people who got their commercial certificate without flying a complex airplane...it's a relatively recent requirement.

I had to take the commercial in a complex back in 1988, so it's not that recent

Back