Comparing Two Radios: Microair and XCOM

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
I am trying to gather as much information as possible about potential radios for our project Ercoupe.

The Ercoupe has limited panel space, especially depth, which limits the choice of radios unless you want to hang one off the bottom (which we don't want to do).

Currently I am looking at two different radios, the Microair M760 and the XCOM760 VHF. Both are from Australia.

My student has the XCOM in his Ercoupe, and it is OK. I have never used the Microair which is why I'm wondering what the difference is between these. Which is better?

Anyone have any experience & recommendations?

I have one of each that they sent me on an evaluation basis. I wrote an article for Kitplanes on the Microair about four or five years ago but haven't done one on the Xcom yet.

In my opinion, you are buying the same radio. WIth a $200 delta in favor of the Microair, that has to be a factor. I completely rewrote the manual for the Xcom but haven't downloaded the latest version to see if they have fixed the erers I found (and the inevitable Aussie colloquialisms that don't translate into Amenglish too well.

Technically if you put them both into a black box and asked me to find differences between the two, I doubt I'd be able to detect anything of significance.

Jim

I forgot to add...

If you'd like to borrow one or both, and can give me some sort of assurance that I'll get them back within a month or so, and are willing to pay the actual post office charge including $2500 insurance, I'd be happy to loan them to you to play with. I know I've got the Microair hooked up to a standard Karmic connector but don't know about the Xcom. I can probably jury rig that one up too so that you only have one connector to play with.

Jim

I have an XCOM and I like it very much. I had a Microair and it was adequate.

The Microair did not have a VOC intercom, no music input.

Last edited:
I've not used either; but, (when I was building) I was leaning toward the XCOM over the Microair because the XCOM includes a VOX intercom and the ability to monitor a second frequency.

I see that Microair is now offering both of those features. So, for me, it would come down to cost.

both are pretty popular in gliders. probably for the same reason they would be good in the ercoupe. small panel space, low power draw, and light.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the XCOM has more transmitting power. Otherwise it sure does look like they are about even overall.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the XCOM has more transmitting power. Otherwise it sure does look like they are about even overall.

And the difference isn't detectable in 999 out of 1000 cases. The difference between 4.5 watts and 6 watts is about the same as the difference between 10 feet and 30 feet of coax cable between radio and antenna. Don't ever base your decision on transmitter power.

Jim

I know for glider ops, that the xcom will work down to 9-10 volts which is nice if you run them only off of batteries.

Now if I only could find a used one of either kind for my Ka-6....

Well we just ordered an XCOM. Just sticking with what I know works, I guess, given my student's Ercoupe has one. If he ever leases his plane to our school, both Ercoupes will at least have the same radio.

Back