Comms question

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
What would cause a radio to bleed through to other frequencies? I got an ear full from Sioux Falls departure yesterday because of that issue. :D It doesn't seem to be a problem with the other radio, however.

Mostly an issue somewhere in the antenna system/installation on the aircraft. Take your pick where. Could also be an issue with the radio itself...easily found out on a test bench...but that test condition rarely matches the situation in the plane installation itself. Also, proximity to the transmitting antenna can cause bleed-over.

What would cause a radio to bleed through to other frequencies? I got an ear full from Sioux Falls departure yesterday because of that issue. :D It doesn't seem to be a problem with the other radio, however.
I noticed my com 2 radio would recieve a freq across several clicks of the freq wheel. The othe radio is fine I don't transmit on com 2, just listen. The suggestion to me was to get a KX $$$$$$ radio to replace it. So far I still have it and my $$$$$.

I noticed my com 2 radio would recieve a freq across several clicks of the freq wheel. The othe radio is fine I don't transmit on com 2, just listen. The suggestion to me was to get a KX $$$$$$ radio to replace it. So far I still have it and my $$$$$.

Comm radios can be had for $ as well as $$$$$, especially last gen replacement radios. If it's a non GPS NAV/COM or COM, you can probably find a used one cheap as chips.

OK, I'm going to sell this one and upgrade.:rofl:

Attachments

• for sale.jpg
    for sale.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 53
I've had that problem with an ARC radio. Synthesizer in the radio had failed. TKM Michael makes slide in replacements for various radios including ARC. No installation costs as you just slide the old radio out of the tray and slide the new one in.

I fly an old Mooney and could probably get that 4th passenger in with no problem.

The KX 170b weighs 7 pounds, and I have considered losing it for a glove box!

Can be anything from an internal failure to a bad antenna connection causing the poor thing to go into oscillation.

Let a pro with a service monitor look at it and see if the thing is "growing grass" on a spectrum analyzer.

P.S. You're local and I own a service monitor. No need to even touch the radio or do anything to test it on the ground. Just need a good source of AC power since my battery in my SM is inop. Holler if you want to look at it sometime.

I fly an old Mooney and could probably get that 4th passenger in with no problem.

The KX 170b weighs 7 pounds, and I have considered losing it for a glove box!

You can get a nice slide in digital replacement, there's a TKM MX 170b on eBay for $1000 OBO, and I see them advertised used for $200-$300.

I recently replaced a Narco 11B with a TKM MX11 and love it. Got mine for $550

P.S. You're local and I own a service monitor. No need to even touch the radio or do anything to test it on the ground. Just need a good source of AC power since my battery in my SM is inop. Holler if you want to look at it sometime.

Thanks for the offer, it's a club aircraft so not a huge deal. I'm just curious about such things since I plan on owning some day and want to figure out as inch as I can regarding such issues.

You didn't tell us what freqs you are having issues with. I know on some of the older radios with mechanical tuners, weird stuff happens.

As for the TKM, I have had one to replace my KX-170Boat Anchor. I haven't had a lot of success with it. In fact, it is like another boat anchor for me. I had it back to Michel twice and they fixed it and it began giving me problems again prompting me to do an avionics upgrade. The shop told me that they have seen a number of issues with these slide ins replacements not due to the unit itself, but rather problems with the rack connections.

Sure enough, I pulled my out before I began the upgrade and slide it back in a few times, but it worked! Of course I never told the wife... It was the justification for the upgrade!

Sooooo...... How much?--Actually I'm being serious. If that's really yours and not a joke, I could use a cool bookend for my dorm.

Just joshing, The ones I was familiar with didn't look that good. I have seen one in a little aviation museum in Gatlinburg. Boy did that ever make me feel old.
Thanks ,Henning, I check Ebay regularly and have had some intrest in a $200 exchange with warrenty. This fellow seemed to be putting out a clean front face.

Can be anything from an internal failure to a bad antenna connection causing the poor thing to go into oscillation.

Let a pro with a service monitor look at it and see if the thing is "growing grass" on a spectrum analyzer.

Depending on the unit, it may need to be retuned. Aged componets will cause drift over the years. Tweak the VCO and away you go.

What Service monitor do you have? we use IFR Com120B and good ole 1200S.

I've got a IFR 1500 that probably could use a bench calibration and a thorough going-thru, but I've put it back to back with a friend's HP a few times and its been good.

I should also replace or remove the SLA battery. The screen is dim, but I'm not going to bother finding it a new CRT until it gets worse.

Mostly it lives on the workbench. Once in a while it gets a field trip to a radio site.

I've got a IFR 1500 that probably could use a bench calibration and a thorough going-thru, but I've put it back to back with a friend's HP a few times and its been good.

I should also replace or remove the SLA battery. The screen is dim, but I'm not going to bother finding it a new CRT until it gets worse.

Mostly it lives on the workbench. Once in a while it gets a field trip to a radio site.

Yea the 1500 is a decent machine. The Com120 is the bench machine and the 1200s lives on the road. Just can't kill it!

Back