Commercial Spaceflight and Aviation Trust Fund

Satellites have moved well beyond experimental territory.
Interesting to consider the crewed flights.

Blue Origin's New Shepard is off the ground for about 11 minutes. First paying passengers flew on the 16th flight. That means the vehicle took commercial passengers after less than THREE HOURS of flight test. The FAA doesn't let experimental aircraft carry passengers unless they have more than eight times that amount of flight experience.

The regulatory structure has to be far different from aircraft, of course, as the missions certainly don't match. Several locations around the world would be quite happy to host American space companies that don't want FAA regulatory oversight.

Ron Wanttaja

It seems obvious to me commercial enterprises should pay for government services they use. Whether it should come from use fees or business taxes is a matter for people with more intimate knowledge of the situation than I possess. I don't know what agency would be more appropriate to regulate things going up in the air than the FAA.

The rules the FAA set forced Boeing to design variants instead of clean sheet designs

Boeing made design decisions that were not in the interest of the company or the safety of the public because of the FAAs arcane certification rules and regulations firced them to.

????????

From everything I've read on the subject, Boeing's decision not to make a clean sheet design and to go with MCAS was a marketing decision to compete with Airbus. Design decisions all along the way were made for financial reasons.

Last edited:
????????

From everything I've read on the subject, Boeing's decision not to make a clean sheet design and to go with MCAS was a marketing decision to compete with Airbus. Design decisions all along the way were made for financial reasons.

I’d imagine as the launch customer, SWA told Boeing to make the 737 platform work.

It seems obvious to me commercial enterprises should pay for government services they use. Whether it should come from use fees or business taxes is a matter for people with more intimate knowledge of the situation than I possess. I don't know what agency would be more appropriate to regulate things going up in the air than the FAA.
The problem is expertise. We complain that the rank-and-file FAA guy doesn't understand small aircraft...imagine what it's like when the FAA tries to regulate space operations.

A bit over a hundred years ago, a squadron commander in the Army Air Service demanded that pilots wear spurs while flying. We can imagine the same sort of thing happening when clueless agency types try to regulate something they don't intrinsically understand.

Ron Wanttaja

Back