Commercial rating

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
I have decided to add the Comm. SE rating and then ME. Any words of wisdoms, thoughts,,

Also, besides the Gleim study manual, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I have decided to add the Comm. SE rating and then ME. Any words of wisdoms, thoughts,,

Also, besides the Gleim study manual, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Have fun -- the Commercial is the most fun you will have preparing for a practical exam.

:yesnod:

It should also help you really know the airplane's edges -- particularly in slow flight.

Maybe someone can chime in on the requirement for a complex airplane -- has that been removed or is it about to be removed?

Last edited:
Comments on the proposal to remove the complex requirement by substituting 10 hours of advanced instrument work are due by 11/30, I believe. I also believe this is a "quick turnaround" rule, so we may see a final rule by the end of December or January.

Comments on the proposal to remove the complex requirement by substituting 10 hours of advanced instrument work are due by 11/30, I believe. I also believe this is a "quick turnaround" rule, so we may see a final rule by the end of December or January.
I'd be very surprised if that happens that fast.

Words of wisdom?

The Commercial certificate (not "rating") is all about precision control and mastery of the aircraft. It means being able to put the airplane exactly where it's supposed to me in speed, attitude, heading, altitude, and coordination during a wide range of maneuvering flight. Make sure you can do that before you take the ride.

Words of wisdom?

The Commercial certificate (not "rating") is all about precision control and mastery of the aircraft. It means being able to put the airplane exactly where it's supposed to me in speed, attitude, heading, altitude, and coordination during a wide range of maneuvering flight. Make sure you can do that before you take the ride.

IME that (precise control) is only half of the picture. The other half was learning "exactly where it's supposed to me in speed, attitude, heading, altitude" for each of the many required maneuvers.

I'd be very surprised if that happens that fast.

The Hudson rule was another one that was supposed to be fast-tracked, and it was targeted for release in time for the next chart cycle (Nov 22 I believe). Has anyone heard any noises about that rule not coming out?

IME that (precise control) is only half of the picture. The other half was learning "exactly where it's supposed to me in speed, attitude, heading, altitude" for each of the many required maneuvers.
Point taken, although my experience as a CFI is that folks learn where it's supposed to be a lot faster than they learn how to put it there, hence, perhaps not a "half/half" situation. YMMV.

Point taken, although my experience as a CFI is that folks learn where it's supposed to be a lot faster than they learn how to put it there, hence, perhaps not a "half/half" situation. YMMV.

Perhaps my situation was a little unique in that I did have an instrument rating along with some aerobatic, tailwheel, and glider experience, all of which involve a degree of control beyond that required for a PPL.

Perhaps my situation was a little unique in that I did have an instrument rating along with some aerobatic, tailwheel, and glider experience, all of which involve a degree of control beyond that required for a PPL.
The highlighted items were probably the biggest contributors.

Have fun -- the Commercial is the most fun you will have preparing for a practical exam!

Yea, this will be the fun cert. compared to the IFR! Starting in 2 weeks and looking forward to it!

I did the Comm SE and then the ME route within about 4 weeks of each other. Same DPE.

And his only comment on the ME single engine approach and hitting the accuracy landing and the same time... "Damm Glider Pilots"... All while watching some bozo in an Aerostar screw up everyones traffic pattern and mess with the Tower. He cut across our long straight in tower directed final at least twice.

He (DPE) did offer a challenge to complete the SE approach and hit the Capt Bars.. but the emphasis is on a stable SE approach and not the accuracy. If I miss the Capt Bars I get another full up shot at the accuracy landing.

It helps when you know the DPE.

Have fun with it, because it is a lot of fun. A lot of the stuff on the written is stuff that's not necessarily something you'll ever need, but is knowledge of a more advanced pilot.

Something I don't think is taught much in commercial (or any) pilot curriculum is the responsibility you have towards other pilots and flying as a whole when you get your commercial. If you're saying that you're worthy of getting "compensated" for flying, then you should be. That means being a professional, and putting the customer first (whoever the customer is, and whatever that means). People are entrusting you with their lives when you take them flying and with their planes when you're flying for them. That should be taken seriously. My DPE gave me a good lecture on this, hopefully yours will, too.

I'd echo Ted's comments on Professionalism.

While doing my training we did some "experimenting" with clouds in Florida - the whole how turbulent will that one be...

My instructor was very clear on this, and I like the idea. "When you are by yourself, experiment a bit, stretch your wings and feel out clouds so you know what you can handle. With customers, stay out of the clouds as much as possible. Your instrument rating is now used to keep you out of trouble"

As far was your written goes, it's almost as much of a reading test as it is a Commercial Pilot test. Make sure you understand the question before answering. They will try to "trick" you more than once during this written (more so than the others)

Good point, Ted and Dave.

The Commercial is fun. But the combination of the IR and Comm should make you a smooth pilot.

Flying with passengers our flying should be smooth and graceful. The only way they should know they are flying is the view out the window. Save the zero G level-offs, the steep turns, the slips to compensate for bad energy management on final for yourself or another pilot.

We should practice tiny, imperceptible corrections of heading and altitude.

I plan on never exceeding a 500 FPM descent rate, I ask to deviate around summer CU, and plan most flights early before the ground gets heated and the bumps begin.

Too often we get into a "watchiss" mind frame when we should be aware they are impressed enough that we can takeoff and land without much drama.

Maybe someone can chime in on the requirement for a complex airplane -- has that been removed or is it about to be removed?
It was not removed in the changes which became effective two weeks ago, but an NPRM has been issued which will replace the 10 hours of complex with 10 hours of "advanced instrument" training. Comments are due this month, effective date TBD (guessing some time mid/late next year).

Back