Commercial / Multi / Comm Multi / SES

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Ok. I will get one of these ratings this summer. The commercial seems the obvious choice as I getting close to the 250 mark. The question is, what would be the best way to go about it? Since I don't have a complex airplane, it seems that money wise it might be cheaper to go after the Multi-Comm first and get both those ratings at once and then do the commercial single ride in my own plane rather than rent a single complex this year, and then a twin next year. ( I plan on getting 1 rating a year until I can't or it's unfeasible) I have 0 multi time. Is trying to knock out the commercial requirements in a multi too much to bite off? I did my part 61 in 41 hours, and I did my instrument with 106 total hours. Maybe I think my learning curve is higher than most. But is going from 0 multi time to commercial multi being overambitious with the goal of hitting it in minimum hours since I've done so with everything else?

N2212R said:
Ok. I will get one of these ratings this summer. The commercial seems the obvious choice as I getting close to the 250 mark. The question is, what would be the best way to go about it? Since I don't have a complex airplane, it seems that money wise it might be cheaper to go after the Multi-Comm first and get both those ratings at once and then do the commercial single ride in my own plane rather than rent a single complex this year, and then a twin next year. ( I plan on getting 1 rating a year until I can't or it's unfeasible) I have 0 multi time.

How much complex/high performance time do you have?

Is trying to knock out the commercial requirements in a multi too much to bite off?

It can be done. The question is how quickly and at what cost. If you have zero complex time you will be spending ~$200/hour to learn complex aircraft functions in a twin when you could be paying less than 1/2 that amount. On the other hand, if you have significant complex time the multi-commercial would be fairly easy.

I assume you have zero complex time. If that is correct then I would recommend getting the COM/ASEL first and then follow that with a COM/AMEL. I would add the COM/SES at any point after the COM/ASEL.

I did my part 61 in 41 hours, and I did my instrument with 106 total hours. Maybe I think my learning curve is higher than most. But is going from 0 multi time to commercial multi being overambitious with the goal of hitting it in minimum hours since I've done so with everything else?

Probably is overly ambitions. You very well may be a quick learner. But the reality is that it will take a minimum of 8-10 hours to master the complex/COM/ASEL maneuvers, and another 8-9 hours minimum to master the multi apsects. If you try to combine the two you might trim an hour or two off the total (doubtful--more likely take more time, not less, but it could happen), but you will be paying more than 2x for all of those hours, versus paying the single rate for the COM/ASEL/complex portion, and only paying the greater cost for the multi when you need the multi.

However, if you have 50-100 hours of complex time all bets are off. You probably could do the COM/AMEL first, followed by either the COM/ASEL or COM/ASES.

Ed Guthrie

Here's an interesting possibility, if you have the plane for it available -

Could you do your C-SEL and C-SES in the same plane if you have access to an amphibian that meets the spec (RG, obviously, and C/S Prop+Flaps)? This might not be the absolute cheapest way to go, but it would be pretty cool! :cool:

Jeff

Someone else was asking this same kind of question.
My response is here SOMEWHERE!!!
It was in Pilot Training: "What About This?" posted by Wangmyers

Did my multi-comm-ifr in one ride. I already had PPSEL and IFR in single. Maybe had 25 hours of Arrow time. Zero multi time. I'd have to find my log book to tell ya exactly how many hours of Twin Comanche time I had on the day of the check ride. Ride was fairly simple, given what was being tested. Three rides in one. Now, if I decide to get my single comm, I can do it in our 150 if I want, no need to have to spend $$ on complex plane.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
Ok. I will get one of these ratings this summer. The commercial seems the obvious choice as I getting close to the 250 mark. The question is, what would be the best way to go about it? Since I don't have a complex airplane, it seems that money wise it might be cheaper to go after the Multi-Comm first and get both those ratings at once and then do the commercial single ride in my own plane rather than rent a single complex this year, and then a twin next year. ( I plan on getting 1 rating a year until I can't or it's unfeasible) I have 0 multi time. Is trying to knock out the commercial requirements in a multi too much to bite off? I did my part 61 in 41 hours, and I did my instrument with 106 total hours. Maybe I think my learning curve is higher than most. But is going from 0 multi time to commercial multi being overambitious with the goal of hitting it in minimum hours since I've done so with everything else?

Well, I had a multi and did my Multi Comm in it first, then did my SES & SEL Comm ride at the same time in a Lake Amphib with Sheblys out in Bullhead City. I think they still have that Lake L4. You could do those rides first then add on the Multi next year. Since you own a single, it would make more sense to get the SEL com first, and with the Lake, you get to toss in SES as well. I want to do my MES in either a BE-18 on floats or a Goose.

Heh ! Minimum hours... definitely not my experience. I'm working on my complex single and commercial. I thought about doing a multi-engine rating at one of those 4-day schools. My thought was get the complex/complex stuff down cold with one engine first, and then master the twin.

I love aviation, but I'm no natural-born flier like y'all.

Back