Commercial license text/program recommendation

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
Under the "license to learn" category, I'm considering working on my commercial certificate next spring. In anticipation of that, do you have any recommendations for a good commercial textbook or program?

I did my private and instrument with John and Martha, but I don't think I could take them for another course. I know that Jeppesen has a combined Commerical / Instrument text, and that Gleim has a commercial book, though I haven't seen either.

Jepp book is good. But honestly, the commercial certificate isn't complicated on the knowledge side.

If Rod Machado has one, I'd recommend him. Otherwise consider Kershner's advanced pilot's flight manual.

The Jepp book is 80% Instrument and 20% commercial. The commercial is really not all that hard. Get Gardner Advanced pilot and the Gleim test prep and you will have what you need.

Kudos on doing your commercial so quick. You will appreciate learning how to fly without looking at the gauges after doing your instrument.

The Jepp book is 80% Instrument and 20% commercial. The commercial is really not all that hard. Get Gardner Advanced pilot and the Gleim test prep and you will have what you need.

Kudos on doing your commercial so quick. You will appreciate learning how to fly without looking at the gauges after doing your instrument.

Expect to have difficulty getting adjusted to looking outside again... Tell your instructor you just did the IR if he/she doesn't already know and cover up the instruments at first. Once you get used to flying head up again you can go for a combined scan of the outside with quick peeks inside.

If you don't like John and Martha, there are lots of other choices. For book-based learning at the CP level, I recommend either Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot or the late Bill Kershner's Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual.

I recommend Gleim for the Commercial written prep. For the oral, I primarily used the FAR/AIM, ASA's Commercial Oral Examination Guide, the aircraft POH and a copy of Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot. When there was a subject that I wanted to explore/understand more in depth, I would often pull the FAA texts and read the appropriate sections.

Back