Commercial Land & Sea on same day

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
My good friend Bill Halpin passed the checkrides for both his Commercial Single-Engine Land and Single-Engine Sea add-on ratings yesterday. Our mutual friend Chris Cooper did his seaplane training in preparation for the ride. He used three different aircraft to accomplish the ride, a Cessna 182 on floats, a Cherokee 140 for the maneuvers and a Piper Arrow to meet the Complex requirements. Bill upgraded his Private ticket to Commercial in a Helicopter back in July. Next stop: Multi-Engine Instrument!

HalpinBill_CommSEL_SES_Pilot_web1.jpg

Last edited:
He didn't need the Arrow :no:

If the float plane has a CS prop and flaps it's complex.

I did my initial CPL on floats then land add via a 7AC

He didn't need the Cherokee 140, he could have done all the maneuvers in the Arrow.

Congrats!

I did both of mine in the same plane on the same flight lol. Lake Amphibs are good for something. ;)

He didn't need the Arrow :no:

If the float plane has a CS prop and flaps it's complex.

I did my initial CPL on floats then land add via a 7AC

We agree, but you play by the examiner's rules. And he wanted a retract...one lap around the pattern was all the Arrow was used.

He didn't need the Cherokee 140, he could have done all the maneuvers in the Arrow.

Congrats!

Yep, he could have, but he owns the 140 and prepared in it. Only needed the Arrow for one trip around the pattern.

We agree, but you play by the examiner's rules. And he wanted a retract...one lap around the pattern was all the Arrow was used.

I play by the PTS and FARs rules for checkrides.

If I were to guess your DPE ether
A. Didn't know the regs pertaining to the checkride he was administering.
B. Didn't care about the rules and was making his own rules

Ether way you shake it, I'd have a word with the DPE and maybe the FSDO he is under (after the gov't gets back to work), I'd also want the money back for the arrow rental if I was the student.

That's a bum deal IMO

Congrats on the new ratings ,no matter what planes you used.

I play by the PTS and FARs rules for checkrides.

If I were to guess your DPE ether
A. Didn't know the regs pertaining to the checkride he was administering.
B. Didn't care about the rules and was making his own rules

Ether way you shake it, I'd have a word with the DPE and maybe the FSDO he is under (after the gov't gets back to work), I'd also want the money back for the arrow rental if I was the student.

That's a bum deal IMO

One must pick their battles. This was a belt & suspenders decision to avoid any possibility of second-guessing by the FSDO. It was 15 min. of extra effort to borrow the Arrow from another student and three gallons of gas, neither of which is worth annoying an otherwise very accommodating examiner.

We've enjoyed other threads around here recently wherein an applicant decided to challenge the examiner, which didn't work out all that well for the applicant.

But thanks for your concern.

One must pick their battles. This was a belt & suspenders decision to avoid any possibility of second-guessing by the FSDO. It was 15 min. of extra effort to borrow the Arrow from another student and three gallons of gas, neither of which is worth annoying an otherwise very accommodating examiner.

We've enjoyed other threads around here recently wherein an applicant decided to challenge the examiner, which didn't work out all that well for the applicant.

But thanks for your concern.

I read those threads too, however this one is cut and dry, that 180 is a complex plane and satisfies the complex requirement for the CPL, heck I did my initial CPL in a straight float seaplane!

FAR 61.31

(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller)

If your student is cool with it, then OK

Ether way, CONGRATS to your student!!

I read those threads too, however this one is cut and dry, that 180 is a complex plane and satisfies the complex requirement for the CPL, heck I did my initial CPL in a straight float seaplane!

If your student is cool with it, then OK

Ether way, CONGRATS to your student!!

No question that counted for the Sea portion. The concern was dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the Land portion. He wanted at least a portion of it in a complex. We complied. No problem.

And, thanks....he's happy to have it behind him. Now to get ready for the ME commercial ride to get the last of the private privileges off his ticket.

Back