Comments And Additions To This Cockpit Review

I would have her do some chair flying with a poster of the panel and the POH for a better understanding on about half of the components before we do a good review of the cabin during a ground session.

1. Should have camera held more stable;
2. Script it- decide sequence and how each instrument will be described, in advance;
3. Umm.... no more "Ummm"s

and louder. I could barly hear her and my speakers were pretty high.

3. Umm.... no more "Ummm"s

umm, yeah...

During Officer Candidate School, I learned a good technique for solving the spoken pause.

Each time a Candidate mindlessly said "umm," the rest of the candidates (started with 144, graduated 40) would stand at attention and shout "UMMMM!"

I used this technique as a teacher. I told my class if they heard me saying "umm," they should all stand up and say "UMM!" as loud as possible.

It only happened a couple of, umm, times, but man did they pay attention to every word for the longest time!

umm, yeah...

During Officer Candidate School, I learned a good technique for solving the spoken pause.

Each time a Candidate mindlessly said "umm," the rest of the candidates (started with 144, graduated 40) would stand at attention and shout "UMMMM!"

I used this technique as a teacher. I told my class if they heard me saying "umm," they should all stand up and say "UMM!" as loud as possible.

It only happened a couple of, umm, times, but man did they pay attention to every word for the longest time!

Now if ONLY we can come up with a solution for the infamous middle of the sentence pause ;
"You know...............and the even MORE famous......"right" . :))

Now if ONLY we can come up with a solution for the infamous middle of the sentence pause ;
"You know...............and the even MORE famous......"right" . :))
My teaching episode with Indian students also had its effects by this constant "Yeah, right." response to anything that was said. It didn't matter what was said or who said it, this was the standard response. It became as though they raked their finger nails on the chalkboard.

umm, yeah...

During Officer Candidate School, I learned a good technique for solving the spoken pause. Each time a Candidate mindlessly said "umm," the rest of the candidates (started with 144, graduated 40) would stand at attention and shout "UMMMM!" I used this technique as a teacher. I told my class if they heard me saying "umm," they should all stand up and say "UMM!" as loud as possible.

Not to steal my own thread :D but "Ummm" and "like" and similar non-words are what I call brain timers. It solves the speaker's need to hold the attention of the listener while she gets her brain in gear. Pretty useless, erumm, like, doncha' think? :rofl:

My teaching episode with Indian students also had its effects by this constant "Yeah, right." response to anything that was said. It didn't matter what was said or who said it, this was the standard response. It became as though they raked their finger nails on the chalkboard.
Mine was "ok alright" over and over again.

and louder. I could barly hear her and my speakers were pretty high.
I am sure she enjoyed all of our Roman Polanski reviews (don't do it, I know what you're going to type :eek: ), what I was trying to get at is whether or not her descriptions, umms or not, were accurate. If not, what was incorrect or where did she miss a point that would be important to a new not-yet-pilot like me. :cheerswine:

I am sure she enjoyed all of our Roman Polanski reviews (don't do it, I know what you're going to type :eek: ), what I was trying to get at is whether or not her descriptions, umms or not, were accurate. If not, what was incorrect or where did she miss a point that would be important to a new not-yet-pilot like me. :cheerswine:

I am not a CFI, but I have given presentations and tours of our computing facility.

I don't think it is worth going over each explanation -- you can (and should!) read the explanations of the instruments in your text book and/or the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. The switches and specific for the plane you fly are covered in the POH (I assume from your comment that you are a student pilot).

Having a script would have helped, because it would have forced the presentation to be more organized. Think in advance about each instrument, switch or component of the cockpit, and how to explain it.

I would have structured the presentation around functional groupings -- the "six pack", the engine instruments, the switches, the radios, etc.

--david

Last edited:

What a sneaky way to get folks to listen to you!

I don't think it is worth going over each explanation -- you can (and should!) read the explanations of the instruments in your text book and/or the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. The switches and specific for the plane you fly are covered in the POH (I assume from your comment that you are a student pilot).
--david
Dead link, David. :(

Back