Commander gear-up

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Randomly found the photo on Twitter. Supposedly happened today somewhere.

:(

I like Commanders. Don’t break them. There’s not that many of them! :)

41f38441b1a474fa757ff1c3c3bb21fc.jpg

That airplane is based at my former home field, KVUO (Vancouver WA). The pilot is a friend, a good guy. The location in that pic kinda looks like KAST (Astoria Oregon).

Last edited:
Nice plane. Looks like a straightforward gear-up - chances are it'll fly again.

Now, was it inadvertent? Malfunction of some sort? Or even that rushed cleanup after rolling up? The warning horn is hard to ignore.

Yes, hopefully it flies again.

That airplane is based at my former home field, KVUO (Vancouver WA). The pilot is a friend, a good guy. The location in that pic kinda looks like KAST (Astoria Oregon).

I think I talked to him once. Is his hangar in the front row facing the runway?

I believe so. He's very active on the PNWF board.

Looking at the photo some more, I think it's at Ocean Shores WA (W04).

Nothing there about it. Haven’t been there in awhile. Hardly gets used any more. Anyway, hope it flys again.

Will be interesting to see why. The warning is tied into the throttle control, so if for some reason he had the throttle above the switch point, it would not sound. And the bell on the Commanders will get your attention.

Less likely to be a loss of hydraulic pressure - that will make the gear drop. The emergency gear valve dumps hydraulic pressure.

Westport Washington.

https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=...96_MAKE_NAME,P96_FATAL_FLG:16-JUL-18,ROCKWELL

Back