Commander 115 vs Mooney Ovation (just a game, for me at least)

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Ok, they are different machines, but they are the lust planes of both my wife and I. Both have looks, style, and strength out the wazoo. The Mooney offers awesome speed, and adequate comfort. The Commander offers wonderful room and comfort, and adequate speed. They offer comparable useful loads. The Commander's extremely stout landing gear gives the option of operating out of some fields that I may not consider in the Mooney, though neither is a bush plane. The Commander offers two doors, and I'm learning that ease of ingress/egress is important to some folks. The Commander is an orphan right now, but I doubt it will stay that way.

So, which strikes ya'lls fancy? Powerball is coming this Saturday!!

http://www.aso.com/aircraft/90006

http://www.aso.com/aircraft/86541

Joe Williams said:
The Mooney offers awesome speed...The Commander offers...adequate speed. They offer comparable useful loads.

Both are equipped to be serious x-country machines. Fuel 'em for the same distance flight (say 500 nm) with IFR alternate & reserve fuel and compare useful load remaining.

I vote for the Commander in this game. I'm not in that great of a hurry to get to my destination when I'm the one doing the flying, and the Mooney cockpit is just a bit small for my tastes.

Personally, since we're visiting Fantasyland, I want a Turbo Stationair Amphib. :yes:

Jeff

I'd opt for the Mooney. That I like Mooneys is no secret, but I like the known ice option on this one.

The "cabin size" issue is one you can't really appreciate until you've been in a Mooney. They are built for people with long legs who tend toward the lanky. If that's not you, then you probably won't be comfortable.

Ken Ibold said:
I'd opt for the Mooney. That I like Mooneys is no secret, but I like the known ice option on this one.

The "cabin size" issue is one you can't really appreciate until you've been in a Mooney. They are built for people with long legs who tend toward the lanky. If that's not you, then you probably won't be comfortable.

Ahhh, but the Commander add also says TKS known ice, though I don't know if that's accurate or not.

At 5'6 tall, I'm not lanky in any respect. In fact, I sit pretty close to the panel, and with my emergency food reserve sticking out in front of my belt, I actually need to use care to ensure I can get the yoke all the way back.

Joe Williams said:
Ahhh, but the Commander add also says TKS known ice, though I don't know if that's accurate or not.
I didn't realize the Commander was certified for KI. Learn something new every day.

Actually, for that price I'd probably go for a late model Saratoga and really get some cabin space.

Ken Ibold said:

Hmm, I'm 6'2", 190, not exactly lanky, but not overweight (much) either. And, the M20F is one of the planes I like that will be in my price range when the time comes. Too bad the J201's are still too dear.

For this game, I'd sacrifice speed for comfort and go with the Commander. For a long time, I've admired the looks and spaciousness of the Commanders. They've got to be the best looking GA planes around. The newer ones are a bit pricey relative to features but since Joe's funding this, what the heck? Just wish that both Mooney and Commander owners had more stable manufacturers behind them...great planes...rough business.

Last edited:
I own a warrior and fly a 69-F model Mooney with all the 201 mods. Nothing beats speed, and I have yet to meet a pilot that wants to go slow. ( except cub drivers), my warrior partner flys a 2004 ovation and it is faster than my F model and guess what? I want the ovation. I am 5-10 and 195 and I fit fine in the Mooney with a passenger.
Joe

Ken Ibold said:

I actually consider myself "Mooney-sized" as well. At 5 feet 4 or 5 inches I can pull the seat forward to the second seat track notch from the front and be very comfortable in a M20C or a M20J. The fact that I'm not as tall as Al Mooney, Gordon Baxter or Ed Guthrie means the folks in the back get about as much space as typical GA 4 seaters (a little extra in the J over the C).

That said, if you are tall and want to put real people in the back seat you need to look at a J, K, F or G model Mooney or the even bigger cabin Bravo, Ovations.

Len

Fly 'em both. For cross country flying speed does make the difference and that the Ovation does VERY well. At 5'9" I'm quite comfortable in my Mooney numerous 4 1/2 hours flights. Ovations have a longer fuselage so even more rearseat legroom. My "game" would be the Ovation.

Wow! That is one loaded 201. Gotta be the most expensive 1981 model out there, but what a panel. Yeah, I love that stichin! Anyone know who does that and what it costs?

Mooney. Life is short, fly fast.

I checked both of those websites and these yokes look great. I'll have to think a bit before spending 6 or 7 hundred on this. On the other hand, that's less than the half a mil it would take to get em in a new Mooney! Sorry Joe for the topic creep.

Lance F said:
I checked both of those websites and these yokes look great. I'll have to think a bit before spending 6 or 7 hundred on this. On the other hand, that's less than the half a mil it would take to get em in a new Mooney! Sorry Joe for the topic creep.

You kidding me? The thread creep is at least half the fun in threads like this.

Back