Comm written prep

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Hello!

I know this has been discussed, but I guess it might be nice to ask again, just to get any updated info!

I was taking practice comm tests a year ago and doing OK using the Gleim. Then instead of the comm, I did the G1000 transition. This summer, I'd like to do the comm. So, what do you use for 1) written test prep, and 2) video prep. What else did you do in preparation for the ride?

What were your rides like compared to the private and instrument?

I want to do this right. And damnit, I want to fly good steep turns, too! :incazzato:

Ah I see! No responses means, grow up and get some Comm cojones, right?:goofy:

I used the ASA test prep workbook - which worked fine for me. didn't use a video at all... just the Jepp book that had the instrument and comm together.
The comm ride was easier than the instrument by far.
Some folks like Gleim better - I spose really it's all the same... the questions are from the same data base and once you practice those then you're done.
I also took practice tests on the my pilot tests web site. That helped me alot w/ the writtens.

Ah I see! No responses means, grow up and get some Comm cojones, right?:goofy:

I just grabbed a Gleim book and took practice tests. By the time you get to the commercial, you have most of the knowledge anyway.

I do have a copy of Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot" (which has instrument stuff too). I didn't read it again for the comm, though. 650+ hours in the airplane was what really did the trick.

A lot of the things that work for the private work for the commercial too - FAA publications, for example. Go read the PHAK and AFH again. Take another trip through the FAR/AIM. You'll be surprised at what's in there.

I used the ASA test prep workbook - which worked fine for me. didn't use a video at all... just the Jepp book that had the instrument and comm together.
The comm ride was easier than the instrument by far.
Some folks like Gleim better - I spose really it's all the same... the questions are from the same data base and once you practice those then you're done.
I also took practice tests on the my pilot tests web site. That helped me alot w/ the writtens.

Oh, this post makes me feel good. I have, and have read, the Jepp book. I had the Gleim, but my subscription has run out. But when I had it, I really liked it!

Take another trip through the FAR/AIM. You'll be surprised at what's in there.

I always am. And I'm sorta depressed by the FAR part, not only because everything is phrased in the negative ("No person may act as pilot in command of an airplane, unless . . . .), but because of the sheer SIZE of the durn thing!

I always am. And I'm sorta depressed by the FAR part, not only because everything is phrased in the negative ("No person may act as pilot in command of an airplane, unless . . . .), but because of the sheer SIZE of the durn thing!

Be glad it has the negative phrasing... Sure, there's a ton of "may not" in the FAR's, but that means we can do ANYTHING else! In most countries, regulations are the opposite - you aren't allowed to do ANYTHING unless it's specifically allowed.

I'll take our system any day. :yes:

Do you have a CFI in mind yet that you want to work with for the comm? Find one and get their help w/ the FARs that would be pertinent for you in this new situation... don't let yourself feel overwhelmed before you've even begun... just start at the beginning. Clarify your intentions and that will help w/ where to start.

I scheduled the written for a Wednesday and then studied about two hours Sunday/Monday/Tuesday and passed with a 93. It's not a hard test.

I did it by just looking at questions/answers then did two real practice tests before the real deal.

Signed off for the checkride now, just trying to get it scheduled. Not bad progress considering how I decided to get it on a whim two weeks ago.

Last edited:
I scheduled the written for a Wednesday and then studied about two hours Sunday/Monday/Tuesday and passed with a 93. It's not a hard test.

I did it by just looking at questions/answers then did two real practice tests before the real deal.

Signed off for the checkride now, just trying to get it scheduled. Not bad progress considering how I decided to get it on a whim two weeks ago.

Hah... Sounds like how I did it. Tony called me up on a Tuesday, I studied Wednesday, took the written Thursday, drove to Ames Friday, checkride Sunday.

The Commercial is a fun and easy rating, if you have a reasonable idea what you're doing and take your upcoming responsibilities seriously. :yes:

Be advised, I heard the 2011 Gleim book for the comm written is mostly from the wrong question bank.

I think if you are familiar with and liked the Gleim books you should stay with that. I started with the ASA and tried out the Gleim and found it was different that what I was used to so I went back to ASA.

Of course, you should have or get soon the most current comm PTS.

Based on results I've seen, the best prep for the written test is one of those weekend seminars that teaches the answers. For the practical test oral portion, the best prep seems to be an instructor who can give a practice oral in the style of the examiner to be used.

I bought the Gleim software, overstudied, and I think came away with a 98. So Jesse and Kent's method probably made more sense since most of the questions on the written are of about zero value to the practical aspect of the test. But the Gleim software I definitely think is the way to go.

The commercial rating is easy and fun. I just hope your instructor/DPE gives you the lecture on what it means to be a commercial pilot. A lot of people seem to have the rating, but not understand the responsibility that comes with it.

I got the lecture Ted mentions but it wasn't until after quite a few flights that I started to understand. IOW, a lecture is only a lecture and it took experience to develop a more thorough understanding through practical application. Correlation

So, Ted's comment begs the question: on what group is it based? How many of those Ted mention as "a lot" have gained real world experience

BTW: the lecture was about PIC authority, exercise thereof, and scenario-based review of private carriage, holding out, etc.

Have fun! I've was scoring in the 90s when I was studying last year, but I want to review. I got a 100% on the private and instrument--how embarrassing!

Hah... Sounds like how I did it. Tony called me up on a Tuesday, I studied Wednesday, took the written Thursday, drove to Ames Friday, checkride Sunday.

The Commercial is a fun and easy rating, if you have a reasonable idea what you're doing and take your upcoming responsibilities seriously. :yes:

But I'm not an ace.

Based on results I've seen, the best prep for the written test is one of those weekend seminars that teaches the answers. For the practical test oral portion, the best prep seems to be an instructor who can give a practice oral in the style of the examiner to be used.

Thanks, Ron!

I bought the Gleim software, overstudied, and I think came away with a 98. So Jesse and Kent's method probably made more sense since most of the questions on the written are of about zero value to the practical aspect of the test. But the Gleim software I definitely think is the way to go.

The commercial rating is easy and fun. I just hope your instructor/DPE gives you the lecture on what it means to be a commercial pilot. A lot of people seem to have the rating, but not understand the responsibility that comes with it.

I'm never going to use if for commercial purposes, and never getting beyond a third class medical. Just want a challenge every summer!

Have fun! I've was scoring in the 90s when I was studying last year, but I want to review. I got a 100% on the private and instrument--how embarrassing!
Considering how most of the questions are 30 years old and poorly worded I wouldn't bother trying to get a 100%. Anything above 70% means you studied too hard.

But I'm not an ace.

Who said any of us were aces?

I'm never going to use if for commercial purposes, and never getting beyond a third class medical. Just want a challenge every summer!

Understood, but I believe if you have the cert, that there should be a higher standard that you hold yourself to. Others will hold you to that higher standard.

Who said any of us were aces?

Understood, but I believe if you have the cert, that there should be a higher standard that you hold yourself to. Others will hold you to that higher standard.

Oh I intend to lord it over everyone who hasn't gone for the cert, just like I do for everyone who hasn't gotten the IR! :yesnod:

Back