Comm training question

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I have limited money (don't we all?). My project last summer was to get certified in G1000 Cessnas at my airport. Now I want to do the comm, but they only have an Arrow. Two problems there: 1) no G1000, 2) I am not familiar with the Arrow.

I am familiar with the Saratoga, but the airport where I am now usually flying out of does not have one. The CFI at this flight school with whom I usually train is excellent, and is now Chief Pilot. Should I just suck it up? My concern is that I will spend many hours learning the Arrow, as opposed to prepping for the comm ride. Remember: I am a slow learner, and only an average pilot.

Thanks for your thoughts, in advance!

I have limited money (don't we all?). My project last summer was to get certified in G1000 Cessnas at my airport. Now I want to do the comm, but they only have an Arrow. Two problems there: 1) no G1000, 2) I am not familiar with the Arrow.

I am familiar with the Saratoga, but the airport where I am now usually flying out of does not have one. The CFI at this flight school with whom I usually train is excellent, and is now Chief Pilot. Should I just suck it up? My concern is that I will spend many hours learning the Arrow, as opposed to prepping for the comm ride. Remember: I am a slow learner, and only an average pilot.

If you're familiar with a Saratoga, I think you'll find the transition to an Arrow to be a piece of cake requiring no more than an hour or so. You can expedite that inexpensively by spending time in the cockpit learning the placement of all controls and switches as well as the sight picture out the front. If the avionics are unfamiliar ask the FBO to supply external power so you can work with them without running the battery down.

If you're familiar with a Saratoga, I think you'll find the transition to an Arrow to be a piece of cake requiring no more than an hour or so. You can expedite that inexpensively by spending time in the cockpit learning the placement of all controls and switches as well as the sight picture out the front. If the avionics are unfamiliar ask the FBO to supply external power so you can work with them without running the battery down.
+1. It's just an airplane.

Why is this a problem? Commercial is pretty much keep your eyes outside and ignore the instruments except for setting up maneuvers anyway.

If you're familiar with a Saratoga, I think you'll find the transition to an Arrow to be a piece of cake requiring no more than an hour or so.
Exactly - most of the Piper singles have some pretty commonalities in systems, so the Arrow will be a pretty easy transition. You'll just need alot less right rudder on takeoff.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses, guys! I think I'll stick with the CFI and use the Arrow.

Back