Comm book

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I hate the Jepp. The comm part is at the end of the IR. Please give me suggestions for reading so that I can extend this out so that I am doing my traditional two years per rating/certificate.

Ben, I have not started my comm yet, however, I have read Kershner' book.
I believe this is what you seek.
Regards, KD

The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual

Seventh Edition

By: William K Kershner (Flight Instructor )
ISBN: 081380260
Published by: ISUP
Description

The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual, in its seventh edition, continues to bridge the gap between theory and practical application in airplane performance. When pilots know the principles of performance, they can readily understand the effects of altitude, temperature, and other variables of airplane operation.

The material in this book includes answers to questions frequently asked by pilot's interested in details of airplane performance. The seventh edition is thoroughly updated and examines in greater depth the basics of flight instruments and navigation. Some maths is included to allow the aspiring professional pilot to better understand the basics of airplane performance and other factors that affect the operation of a particular plane.
TopTable of Contents

Part 1) Airplane Performance and Stability for Pilots
Part 2) Checking Out in Advanced Models and Types
Part 3) Emergencies and Unusual Situations
Part 4) Advanced Navigation
Part 5) High-Altitude Operations
Part 6) Preparing for the Commercial Knowledge and Practical Tests
Detailed contents
TopAbout the Author

William K. Kershner, a nationally renowned aviator, was named the 1992 FAA/General Aviation Flight Instructor of the year, received the Ninety Nine's Award of Merit in 1994, was named Elder Statesman of Aviation in 1997, and was inducted into the Flight Instructor Hall of Fame in 1998. In 2002, he was inducted into the Tennessee Aviation Hall of Fame. Having logged over 57 years in the industry as a pilot, instructor, and author of flight manuals, Kershner now owns and operates a one-airplane, one-instructor aerobatics school using a Cessna 152 Aerobat in Sewanee, Tennessee. Kershner holds certificates and ratings for: Airline Transport Pilot - multiengine, land; Commercial Privileges - single-engine, land; Flight Instructor - single-engine and multiengine aircraft and instrument; and Ground Instructor - advanced, and has flown airplanes ranging from 4O-hp Cubs to jet fighters.

This was found at :http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book.asp?ref=0813802601

Everskyward said:
Curious what you hate about it.
My $.02 on the Jepp Inst/Commercial manual.

For instrument it is great, very detailed and thorough with good explinations. But the commercial part of it is really just an after thought and is very information lite.

Last edited:
Aww shucks, I should never use that word ("hate"). It was late at night. Actually, I do think the commercial section of the book is good. I guess I just wanted to try something different.

(I am a loyal Jepp subscriber.)

I should say that I've barely skimmed the Jepp Instrument/Commercial book but there was a picture of me and the airplane I flew years ago in the Commercial section. It may have been changed by now in a new edition, but I have (or had) a vested interest. Kinda sorta. :dunno:

Everskyward said:
Curious what you hate about it.

Dry.

Dry, dry, dry.

"Dry as a funeral drum."

Better than Unisom.

I know they're the "standard" and probably good for future airline types as they'll have to do a lot of that sort of reading in the future, but I much prefer the Machado books. More information ("real-world" as well as just "textbook") and some really neat tips and tricks. Too bad he doesn't really have any advanced ones, as I too am looking for a good Comm book. :dunno:

I used the ASA comm prep for my written. Read through the book and took a few practice tests over a three week period. I got a 90 on the test. It was pretty easy.

flyingcheesehead said:
but I much prefer the Machado books. More information ("real-world" as well as just "textbook") and some really neat tips and tricks. Too bad he doesn't really have any advanced ones, as I too am looking for a good Comm book. :dunno:

I agree, he should do a commercial book. His PP manual is great. I remember having such a hard time remembering all the airspace limitation when I was in primary training. I got his book and he had one picture that made it all clear.

Back