Comm Aeronautical Experience

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
RE: 61.129(a)

For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applis for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

~snip~

Why does the part say, "a pilot", and not pilot in command?

What airplane category single-engine class aircraft is out there that requires additional crew but does not require a type rating? My point is, "a pilot", is de facto PIC.

Your time as a STUDENT pilot counts towards the 250 also.

RE: 61.129(a)

For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applis for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

~snip~

What airplane category single-engine class aircraft is out there that requires additional crew but does not require a type rating? My point is, "a pilot", is de facto PIC.

Well, for one thing, "a pilot" is NOT defacto PIC. Could be SIC, Dual, Solo, all of that.

Second pilot is required by the regulations on a lot of 135 ops with non-type airplanes for either long duty days or IFR ops -- even in ASEL's (the PC-12 does not require a type rating but it usually flies with two pilots in 135 ops). But usually what folks get to put in the 250 hour "flight time as a pilot" pot besides PIC time is pre-Private dual time and SIC safety pilot time.

RE: 61.129(a)...

Why do you feel the required 250 hours experience is limited to ASEL?

Second pilot is required by the regulations on a lot of 135 ops with non-type airplanes for either long duty days or IFR ops -- even in ASEL's (the PC-12 does not require a type rating but it usually flies with two pilots in 135 ops). But usually what folks get to put in the 250 hour "flight time as a pilot" pot besides PIC time is pre-Private dual time and SIC safety pilot time.
What Part 135 operation do you know that uses pilots for the right seat that hold less than a commercial certificate?

I don't. But how often is student in glider or other used towards Comm ASEL? I was thinking of probable scenarios.

Like my glider CFI who is now working on his single engine restricted commercial? you know him, he posts here, Matt Michael (wby0nder).

His experience in gliders, and his cross country experience, is helping him out a lot in getting his comm-ASEL

I don't. But how often is student in glider or other used towards Comm ASEL? I was thinking of probable scenarios.
Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

Commercial checkride began at 250.3, or something like that, a couple of which were "dual received" in gliders.

Like my glider CFI who is now working on his single engine restricted commercial? you know him, he posts here, Matt Michael (wby0nder).

His experience in gliders, and his cross country experience, is helping him out a lot in getting his comm-ASEL
...and a couple of hours towing Matt were included in that 250.3, too. ;)

Fly safe!

David

reminded me of a couple 16 yr olds right after dad gave the keys to the car...

It could be conducted under 91, but I recall that they had flight attendants and/or other employees on board. Still could happen under 91, but it's pretty rare for a 121 operator to operate a jet like that without a captain-qualified (meaning ATP) pilot on board when carrying supplemental people. Usually the insurance requires a qualified captain when operating the insured airplane.

As noted, Dual (i.e. for an add-on rating), SIC (as safety pilot) are still pilot time.
The regulation in question discusses "flight time as a pilot," not "pilot time." "Flight time as a pilot" excludes sim time, flight time as a nonpilot crewmember, etc. However, "pilot time" includes a number of other things, including sim time (either as trainee or instructor, including an IGI without a CPL) that are not "flight time as a pilot." See 14 CFR 1.1 for the "pilot time" definition.

Back