Coming soon: New corporate hangars at FTY

How'd they swing that? State funded project?

How'd they swing that? State funded project?

Very desirable location close in to Atlanta. Very little light GA traffic because there are few/no hangars. It has been the corporate flight department HQ of Home Depot, Coke, The Cox corporation, etc. for decades. More of the same...

I flew cessnas from the GT flying club out of there a few times. Convenient location indeed, given the hornet's nest of humanity Atlanta has become in the decades since the sleepy ol' days (pre 9/11) of being able to rent a 172 and circle for hours over the stadium during a night game.

Very desirable location close in to Atlanta. Very little light GA traffic because there are few/no hangars. It has been the corporate flight department HQ of Home Depot, Coke, The Cox corporation, etc. for decades. More of the same...

Hill Aviation is very GA friendly. No ramp fees for us small guys.

Hill Aviation is very GA friendly. No ramp fees for us small guys.

I didn't say a thing about Hill. They have been nice to me. But there is essentially no light GA based there and there has never been an effort to welcome it by building t-hangars or doing anything else to encourage it. Dunno if that's because they don't want light GA or because they (the airport authority) have been playing the long game saving the unused space on the field for more corporate hangars. It could have just been neglect. But after watching it (not) evolve over thirty years, the effect today is a harder lean towards corporate jets.

Private owner and private funding. Interport Capital is my go-to source for Aviation Real Estate projects like this. I made the introduction. They are likely syndicating the deal.

https://www.interportcapital.com/aviation
Send them my way. I’d be over the moon to find a company like this willing to invest in an expansion initiative at my aerodrome.

Congratulations... Stopped by there a few years ago to look at an aircraft I was considering purchasing.
From what I recall, the surrounding area was... sketchy, and that would be understated.

I am told that a portion of that has moved on from the area these days, because they bulldozed some of the seedy motels.

I didn't say a thing about Hill. They have been nice to me. But there is essentially no light GA based there and there has never been an effort to welcome it by building t-hangars or doing anything else to encourage it. Dunno if that's because they don't want light GA or because they (the airport authority) have been playing the long game saving the unused space on the field for more corporate hangars. It could have just been neglect. But after watching it (not) evolve over thirty years, the effect today is a harder lean towards corporate jets.
IIRC, Didn't they at one time propose to turn the whole place into "Low-Cost Housing"?
While I would love to see rows of T-Hangars that they could no doubt fill up in Atlanta, it is the Jets that pay the bills.
These companies don't make payroll selling us gas 8 Gallons at a time.

Back