Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
“Come Roll on the Grass” Eastern Shore of Virginia

FLY-IN / CAMP-IN
Campbell Field Airport (9VG)

“Kellam Day”

(In honor of airport founder, D.W. Kellam)

Weirwood, Virginia-Eastern Shore of Virginia

October 18th & 19th, 2008 (Saturday&Sunday)

Seventy five years ago Darrell Kellam, pilot of an English made two place bi-plane, the Avro Avian, built this little airport for people in the community to enjoy aviation. It went on to become the first public-use airport on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and has changed very little since 1933. Please join use for a weekend of aviation fun celebrating all old airports and our freedom to fly. This is a fun fly-in all are encouraged to campout and have a relaxing weekend.

This is a FREE recreational event, however, donations will be accepted to offset food cost.

Food: Saturday-Pig Roast, Steamed Crabs, Steamed Shrimp, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, and lots more, Sunday-Pancake Breakfast then“Soup-on-Sunday” at noon.

Spot Landing Contest: 1:00PM Saturday we will host a spot landing contest. All airplanes and ultralights can participate and will be handicapped based on stall speed. Great prizes for the winners!

See:Spot Landing Rules

Movie & Campfire: Saturday night we will feature a movie in the old hangar with popcorn and snacks along with a campfire (marshmallows will be provided for the kids).

Camping: Come and enjoy the darkest & starriest skies on the East Coast! We have 150 acres for under the wing or in the woods camping.

See: Camping Link

Schedule of Events:

Saturday:

12-4:00pm All you can eat cookout! (Pig Roast, Steamed Crabs, Steamed Shrimp & lots more!)
12-4:00pm Live Music!
1:00pm Spot Landing Contest-Big Prizes!
6:00pm Dinner for campers
7:00pm Campfire & Movie

Sunday:

8:00am Pancake Breakfast

12-3:00pm “Soup-on-Sunday”

Campbell Field Airport (9VG)

· Runway 3/21: 3000x100 Turf, good condition. Power line 60’AGL 200’ S of 03.

· Runway 14/32: 1455x100 Turf

· WX AWOS-3 at MFV (13nm NE): 118.175 (757-787-5660)

For more information:

Call Gordon Campbell, Campbell Field Airport
(757) 442-7519-Airport Office

Or Visit: www.CampbellFieldAirport.com

Fuel: Accomack County Airport (MFV) 13nm NE will offer a fuel discount for Fly-In attendees.

Driving Directions: From Route 13 to 617. Airport on Left. We are 1 mile South of Nassawadox.

I copied the above from the Flyer on the website.​

We've flown in here 4 times before and will continue to do so; it really is a great time every time we've flown in. We'll be camping out so look for the Viking Witch (N8388W) and stop by! I hope a bunch of you hillbillies do fly in. I'm looking forward to meeting ya'll and putting some faces with the names. Hope to see ya'll this weekend!

Last edited:
Heard nothing but good things about this place, but, have never been there. Should be a nice weekend for it. Can't make this, the wife and I are heading northeast (to Boston).

Gary

FBO won't let me land on grass, and I'm taking my parents North for a foliage flight Sunday (LOM-1N7-HZL-RDG-LOM). Maybe I'll see you back at Wings when you return (I should be there between 5:30 and 6:30 for a while.

Website sure does look like a nice place to go. Post pics! (Centre Park photos were great!)

This sounds like a great idea! Too bad it's waaay out of my budget range right now. :(

Might just have to "peek in" on the live webcams. Nice job with those. I like the "Source" dropdown box that lets you pick a specific view quickly.

Awwwwwa hell!! Theres one I actually would have been able to make. However, I have to help my lady empty a storage space.

I hope there is a great PILOT turnout. I'm gonna take 7319 pictures (I hope), plus I'll have my Podcast Mic with me and wanting to hear your "My Scariest Aviation Moment" stories to put on my blog. .......plus......I'm gonna win the spot landing!

EDIT: LOL ( I hit ENTER instead of VIEW)... uhm.... I'm gonna try like a bigdawg to win it...!:D

Last edited:
Wow, this is really, really tempting to go to... too bad the Mooney can't land on grass. :(

Thanks for spreading the word. I am going to make you an official spokesman for Campbell Field! It is going to be a fun weekend.

When are you going to fly in with Boomer & Mo? They would have a great time but I imagine they might put you over gross.

picture.php

Hmmm. May actually have to do this one. 3,000 ft of grass is doable in the Tiger, although I will bring the JATO bottles to get out. Anybody else going?

Is there a B-52 base nearby, just in case?

:D

Last edited:
Anthony,

No problem for a Tiger. I have a Tiger based at the field and regularly do T&G's. While it is grass, it is cut very short and ground is hard packed after 75 years of landing aircraft.

BTW, if you look at the POH soft field performance stats are calculated using 8 inches of grass! The grass at 9VG is never more than 1-2 inches and the performance results I see are not much different than when on pavement.

Hope to see you this weekend.

Anthony,

No problem for a Tiger. I have a Tiger based at the field and regularly do T&G's. While it is grass, it is cut very short and ground is hard packed after 75 years of landing aircraft.

Thanks for the note! I checked out your website and was surprised to see several pictures of Tigers there. I think I even saw a picture of Ron Levy (Cap'n Ron) at the picnic table.

I will try to make it!

Wow, this is really, really tempting to go to... too bad the Mooney can't land on grass. :(

Why not? I've seen Mooneys on grass before. Is it a insurance/club rules thing?

Why not? I've seen Mooneys on grass before. Is it a insurance/club rules thing?

Yep, rules of the owner, and I obey said rules.

Message From Campbell Field.

The big event has been Rescheduled for next weekend (Oct. 25-26) due to the forecast for high wind & rain all day Saturday and high wind on Sunday.

I apologize for the late notice but the forecast did an abrupt about face last night. With the effort and expense I am putting into this it just does not make sense to try to pull it off in lousy weather.

The good news is that I have an extra week to prepare and make this an even better event!

Please join us next weekend for:

Campbell Field Airport
75th Anniversary Fly-In & Campout
"Kellam Day"
October 25-26, 2008

Back