Comcast phone service/ VOIP in general? [NA]

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
We currently have our phone service through Verizon. We are getting good service, and have always been pleased with Verizon. We are paying $75 month for a package that allows unlimited local calling, and unlimited long distance calling, along with some other goodies like caller ID. Anytime, anywhere. Pretty nice, since our family and friends are scattered around the nation.

Comcast is offering us the same service for $40 month. Like I said, we've always been very happy with Verizon, but that's about half price. We do get 911 service.Thing is, we are only medium happy with our Comcast cable and internet service. There are some short term outtages, but they are taken care of quickly, and Comcast always credits our bill if we ask. The offer is tempting to us, just cause we are kinda cheap sometimes. Does anyone here have any experience with the VOIP services in general, and Comcast specifically?

I have Comcast Cable TV and Internet service but, to my knowledge VOIP is not available from Comcast in my area. Unless it was recently added.

I've been having quite a bit of problems with the TV service. My internet connection had been fairly stable until they started with the speed upgrades. After that things got pretty unstable for a while. They are also doing some things with their network that I think is somewhat stupid like centralizing DNS servers in Colorado and Pennsylvania. I've had my share of DNS issues with them lately as a result. I don't use the DNS servers supplied by DHCP any longer.

Verizon has been rolling out FIOS in some areas, I don't know if it's in your area Joe but if it is, you may want to check that out. FIOS is fiber to your home and I understand it produces speeds around 65-75 megabit. I would think VOIP over a connection like that might be really good.

Jeannie

I have a friend in SC who has VOIP, although not from Comcast. He seems to like it. Occasionally it will get hinky, though. My limited experience in talking to him is that, cost aside, it's better than we tend to accept from cell phones but worse than we tend to demand from landlines.

Ken Ibold said:
Occasionally it will get hinky, though.
Is "hinky" a technical term? I'm looking for obscure, meaningless words developed by journalistic sources for use in a technical boardroom environment. This seems to qualify.

The first guy to get the others to say "uhm...what does that mean?" wins. It's been an interesting contest. :goofy:

Ken Ibold said:
I have a friend in SC who has VOIP, although not from Comcast. He seems to like it. Occasionally it will get hinky, though. My limited experience in talking to him is that, cost aside, it's better than we tend to accept from cell phones but worse than we tend to demand from landlines.

A former business partner made the switch to VOIP a few months ago. He's pretty happy with it, but the audio quality from my end matches what you stated. One issue he ran into was that high bandwidth usage by computers on his home network would compromise the VOIP audio. He ended up getting a special router that dealt with that. I'm also under the impression that this may be built in to some VOIP terminals.

Joe, have you checked out Vonage? AFAIK you will need a broadband connection but when I looked at it last month it was 500 min/month for around $20. I think their site is just vonage.com

Elizabeth

We don't have VoIP here, but we will get it soon. From other colleagues at Comcast that I've talked to, it is only as stable as your internet service. If you never have problems with Comcast's High Speed Internet, then your VoIP will work beautifully, but on the flip side....

Joe Williams said:
Does anyone here have any experience with the VOIP services in general, and Comcast specifically?

I've had Vonage for about 8 months now. I love it, and I'd fight anyone who tries to take it away from me! :D

There were a few very brief outages when I first got it that were Vonage network problems. But that hasn't happened in over 6 months. I've had two outages caused by my cable company (I have Time Warner broadband). But Vonage has a "service unavailable" forwarding number you can set up, and when service is out, my home number automatically forwards to my cell phone.

The things I like most about it:

*Unlimited calling anywhere in the US/Canada.

*I could choose a phone number and a virtual phone number from any area code I wanted. I live in Austin, so my home number is in the 512 area code. For $5.00 more a month I have a virtual phone number for my family in the DFW area (817 area code) to call me, so it's always a local call for them.

*I can forward my phone, have it ring two different numbers at once, or send it to voice mail anytime, and it's configurable via the web from anywhere.

*I can listen to my voice mail via the web, or have it sent to my email address as .wav files.

*If I move, my account goes with me, I don't have to change numbers if I change cable companies or move to a different part of town or the country.

*All the bells and whistles of regular phone service (call waiting, caller ID, voice mail, call forwarding, three way calling etc) without extra fees.

* And most of all, my phone bill is ALWAYS $35.00 per month.. no mysterious fees to figure out.

I've never had a problem with call quality. I've never been able to tell that I was talking via VoIP as opposed to a regular phone line.

Your mileage may vary, especially based on the quality of your internet connection. I don't know that I'd recommend trying it via DSL though, since you have to have a regular phone line to have DSL..which kind of defeats the purpose of VoIP.

And... just as a disclaimer, I have no association with Vonage, Time Warner, or any other broadband provider. :D

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that the people who work for the cable company are often the ones that couldn't get jobs at the phone company.

larrysb said:
Just keep in mind that the people who work for the cable company are often the ones that couldn't get jobs at the phone company.

ouch!!!! Ouch!! Not true at all - I don't want to work for the phone company, and never tried....

If you're joking, I missed the smiley, but wow....that kinda hurts!

My best friend runs her business phones over VoIP. Can't tell the difference at all. She's in the metro milwaukee area.

NickDBrennan said:
ouch!!!! Ouch!! Not true at all - I don't want to work for the phone company, and never tried....

If you're joking, I missed the smiley, but wow....that kinda hurts!

Besides, AFaIK no one actually works for the phone company :D.

lancefisher said:
Besides, AFaIK no one actually works for the phone company :D.

lol - yeah, ain't dat the truth? Out here, they're rude to you, and charge you for any problems that were not present when they first hooked up the service. No wonder I don't have a landline and only use a cellphone.

I haven't read the other posts, yet; but having the VONAGE VOIP service is saving me a lot of dollars in the realm of all service features. The taxes, alone, from Verizon were typically $2.00 less than my entire month's Vonage service(including two small taxes).
Remember, though; when your power goes out you'll have no telephone connections.

HR

EHITCH said:
Joe, have you checked out Vonage? AFAIK you will need a broadband connection but when I looked at it last month it was 500 min/month for around $20. I think their site is just vonage.com

Elizabeth

I wondered, after we communicated, if you ever got the Vonage service. I'm very satisfied with it, and my total monthly bill(including taxes) is $16.94 for the 500 minute plan. Correction: I just added a Virtual #(2nd telephone #) for $4.99. It took them a long time to get my regular # transferred, but I was given three months of FREE service because of THEIR problems while they were gettting hammered in the growth pattern.

HR

Brian Austin said:
Is "hinky" a technical term? I'm looking for obscure, meaningless words developed by journalistic sources for use in a technical boardroom environment. This seems to qualify.

The first guy to get the others to say "uhm...what does that mean?" wins. It's been an interesting contest. :goofy:

Television is where I've heard the term hinky used. The shows I've heard it on were all three CSI series and NCIS. It's a term they use when something doesn't add up while they are reviewing all the evidence.

Hey I wonder if that's in the dictionary.

On another note have you ever played board room bingo? It's a fun thing too. You make up bingo cards using buzz words typically found in board room conversations. Of course it's important that all the cards be different. Then as you sit through the meeting you check off your card every time someone uses a buzz word that is on your card. The first one to get a line across, down or diagonal stands up and shouts BULLSH*T!! It's really hilarious although some managers or CEOs may not find it as funny.

Jeannie

Joe, when Comcast is selling the dial tone, it is not the same thing as the VOIP being sold by (for example) Vonage; Vonage and other VOIP providers sell you an ATA box that plugs into your broadband Internet connection and provides dial tone over the Internet connection.

Comcast (while using much of the same technology) has a device which is intended as a primary dial tone device and, while they may still also provide Internet connectivity over the same pipe, your dial tone - your primary phone service - is routed over Comcast's network, not the Internet. Subtle but important difference.

My cousin has had Comcast's phone service for his home and office, 4 lines, for about five years (started out with the AT&T brand), and it works very well (this is in north Texas). YMMV.

Vonage an dthe like are also very useful services, and everyone I know who has used these is also very happy with it, but it is not the same animal. Most acknowledge that they would not want to rely upon the Vonage as a primary phone service at their homes (Internet down=phone down, questionable 911 service, etc.), but they love the "plug it into the 'Net and you're back on" functionality (ask Charlie Melot, he takes his ATA box to the Bahamas and, presto, he's on the phone "in Florida").

Brian Austin said:

"Hinky?"

"What does that mean, 'hinky.' "

You know, "Hinky."

"I don't want my people to use made up words."

(Guess the movie?)

Joe: My advice hang tight for a bit. Verizon has already started wiring our area with special cable to prepare to compete with Comcast in all arenas ie phone, cable TV etc. Word is there will soon be a price war. Hooray for us. I do have a friend that has vonage and LOVEs it very inexpensive!

We provide the some of the hardware to Comcast for their VoIP service. Even the 'Bell's are buying the same product. If you're in an area with high speed internet, chances are your service will eventually be VoIP.

Joe Williams said:
We currently have our phone service through Verizon. We are getting good service, and have always been pleased with Verizon. We are paying $75 month for a package that allows unlimited local calling, and unlimited long distance calling, along with some other goodies like caller ID. Anytime, anywhere. Pretty nice, since our family and friends are scattered around the nation.

Comcast is offering us the same service for $40 month. Like I said, we've always been very happy with Verizon, but that's about half price. We do get 911 service.Thing is, we are only medium happy with our Comcast cable and internet service. There are some short term outtages, but they are taken care of quickly, and Comcast always credits our bill if we ask. The offer is tempting to us, just cause we are kinda cheap sometimes. Does anyone here have any experience with the VOIP services in general, and Comcast specifically?

I've signed up for to be a test family for VoIP from Alltel. This will include unlimited long distance. We have DSL with them now and I've been very happy. The rep said what they hope to do if the test is successful is offer VoIP, INternet services and cable TV over the phone a flat fee.

In anyevent, signing up for the test got my DSL down to 29.95 permantly so it was worth it.

Those of you with a broadband connection calling another with a broadband connection can use Skype (www.skype.com). Skype is totally free anywhere in the world if both users are logged on to skype.com.

Skype also has Skypeout, a system to use the internet for most of the distance but then local hard wires to ring the conventional phone (or mobile, etc) at the destination. Skypeout is not free but it is cheap. You buy skypeout credits by credit card or paypal.

Skypein is in beta test. It lets anyone call you.

Skype is a very quickly growing service. It started in Europe and is growing quickly everywhere.

-Skip

Ken Ibold said:
Hmmm. Skip hyping Skype. Coincidence? I think not! :D

LOL, I know you are kidding, Ken, but for the record I have no interest in Skype, except to use the service to contact my relatives in Europe.

-Skype (oops, Skip)

SCCutler said:
Comcast (while using much of the same technology) has a device which is intended as a primary dial tone device and, while they may still also provide Internet connectivity over the same pipe, your dial tone - your primary phone service - is routed over Comcast's network, not the Internet. Subtle but important difference.

This sounds like you are describing Comcast Digital Telephony Service. It's not VoIP, and when I worked for Comcast up in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, that's exactly how it worked.

The VoIP that Comcast is offering is very much connected to the High Speed Internet.

In Re: Verizon FIOS (Fiber integrated on site), The max theoretical speed is 30Mbps downstream (3.75 MB/sec) and 5Mbps upstream. Note that this would require the CO to be able to handle the throughput, as well as anyone else you're connecting to... it sounds like Verizon is trying to migrate to 100% fiber (thus why the Optical Network Interface is setup outside the house and your phone is migrated to a fiber service) which will have many benefits later on, but it's too early to dish out the cash for it.

As far as VOIP, my mum has Vonage and loves it. I can't tell any difference between quality when I call her. Of course it is running on a data line, so if the power goes out, your phone is gone. Also if the power goes out at the provider's end, they have I believe a 2 hour backup then it's gone. So you do have those minor problems. Otherwise I think it's a great deal.

We've been toying with the idea of Vonage for a while. With the good comments posted here, and the arrival of my current Talk America bill...the decision just got made.

My '19.99' Talk America bill came in at $51.25. 19.99 for the plan, $3.90 for calls not covered by the plan, $5.95 to not be listed in the directory , $15.81 in 'Surcharges' and $5.64 in Taxes.

Some of the Surcharges are just ridiculous :

$4.95 - To recover the cost of collecting taxes...the taxes were only $5.64!!
$5.35 - Common line charge, what the local telco charges for the physical line - why am I paying them extra for that ?
$1.95 - to cover setup and maintain a network - isn't that part of doing business ?

The one that really gets my goat is the $5.95 to NOT be listed in the directory. It's a recurring charge. I can understand a one off charge to check the box on the computer - but what exactly do they do EACH MONTH that cost them $5.95 to maintain it ?

Anyway - We ordered the full blown Vonage setup, and we'll see how it goes. It certainly won't be any more expensive than the current setup, and the only drawback is losing phones if the power is out. We have cell phones anyway, and last time we had a blackout, we lost the home phones anyway !

Since 911 is my business, I would have a hard time getting any HOME phone that won't/can't dial 911. Cell phones are bad enough when the caller has no clue where they are......

Our Verizon land line is only $25 a month, which we seldom use for anything but internet connection. No broadband, cable, DSL, etc available here. Cell phones are used for 99.99% of our day to day phone calls. Free roaming (CN and MX included), free LD, etc. About $250.00 a month for three phone with 1000 minutes per month each, unlim weekend and cell-cell.

For us, this works just fine. Maybe when they get the issues workedout, we may consider switching. But I don't see that happening for a while. Besides, I use the home # for work. I never answer it, the answering machine isn't hooked up anymore, and that way if work tries to call me in for OT, sorry, I must have missed the call! (no one there has my cell number.....)

I had Comcast phone service (not VOIP) for a little while a few years ago. There was intermittant static on the line that they could never resolve and it was driving me nuts (used for business as well) so I eventually switched over to the Verizon unlimited plan. I don't even call LD much, but I like having the flat monthly fee although it is pretty expensive. I've had my eye on Vonage for a while now and a buddy of mine is testing it but it doesn't seem quite up to par with POTS yet. Getting closer though...

Back