Combined BFR

sdflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sdflyer
I have a PPL who wants to combine flight review and complex aircraft endorsement. Has anyone done something like this?

According to 61.56
(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor

I can interpret it differently.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He is rated in the airplane. Airplane Single Engine Land, check the back of his license.
He just cannot act as PIC in the complex with out an additional endorsement.
Just make sure the 1hr of Flight Review ground includes the items of discussion recommended for the flight review. The complex flight training should easily cover the maneuvers as part of the flight review.

Seems like a doable project to me. When you sign off the complex endorsement, make sure the flight review topics and maneuvers are covered and add the 61.56 endorsement words.

I did this.

For every Flight Review, as long as I'm paying an instructor, may as well do something other than normal airwork in my own airplane.

My complex/high performance signoffs were a flight review, I've taken spin training, and have been checked out in other aircraft just to do something different. A float rating is on the list of future reviews, as is a tail wheel endorsement.

Sure is more fun than an hour of touch & gos in a Cessna 152.

..... But then again, an hour of touch & gos in a 152 sure beats staying on the ground!

Sure. Lot's of people combine FRs with tailwheel endorsements as well, which is the same concept.

Any additional rating (such as seaplane) trumps the BFR - you don't need one. So using standard Pilot financial formulas you can pay $1200 to get a seaplane rating and somehow convince yourself (maybe not the wife) that you are actually SAVING $200 :)

Thanks everyone for response !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FWIW to you at this point: I did a FR while training for my tailwheel add-on, and both of my glider check rides counted as FRs not only for gliders, but also ASEL.
Other than some of the ground stuff, the instruction time for an endorsement will simultaneously be applied to the FR (assuming the appropriate maneuvers and in-flight procedures are part of it, and they usually are). It's a good way to do a review in most cases; not much of an additional burden in terms of time/money/effort.

And while it might be argued that a couple of local glider hops and a fairly easy oral exam (with the written waived for my first glider rating because I'd already passed the PPASEL exam) might not adequately assess my ability to command a power plane on a cross-country or whatever, I think the challenge of trying something new and having to pick up on some new rules and procedures is very productive. And covering the FR requirements while getting an endorsement for tailwheel or whatever actually can make it more fun than just "enduring another flight review" in whatever it is you usually fly.

Any additional rating (such as seaplane) trumps the BFR - you don't need one. So using standard Pilot financial formulas you can pay $1200 to get a seaplane rating and somehow convince yourself (maybe not the wife) that you are actually SAVING $200 :)
Just want to clarify: Any additional rating on your pilot certificate counts as an FR. For example when I take my CFII add-on, that will be an additional rating to my Flight Instructor certificate thus it will no reset my FR clock. Guess I'll have to knock out my tailwheel, so I don't have to pay for an hour of flight time in a 172 :lol:.

Last edited:
I'll probably just have my reccomending instructor sign it off at the conclusion of my training with prior arrangement. I think I'm due for one in December anyway.

Back