Comanche Toe Brakes

Fransisco

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Francisco McClain
Does anyone know where to get a Comanche single toe brake kit ? Thanks !!:)

buy a wrecked plane, that is what my friend did. The brakes are made of unobtanium

Fly the plane for 10 hours (or at meet the insurance requirements) which ever is more. By then you will have figured out you probably don't need toe brakes. Or at least not bad enough to justify the cost of installing them.

Brian

Hand brake. Toe brakes are not really necessary for normal ops, hand brake does just fine. But I have toe brakes, I think it makes run-up a lot safer, imho. The Comanche can pull pretty hard at 1700-2000 rpm. Then there's full power static runups after service...those'll pull you with the brakes locked.

Last edited:
Just a single hand brake.

I've got some hours in hand brake pipers, some in toe brake planes, some in heel brake planes, you're really not making a upgrade here, just get used to the plane, there is a reason it has become a 50 year old airframe and managed to retain its hand brake, it's not a big deal after you have a little time with it.

If you're really wanting to go down this path, like the others said find a totaled plane at a scrap yard, a medium sized wad of cash and there you go.

Handbrake for each side?

Nope, just one that actuates a single mastet cyl for both sides. Using one is just a matter of getting used to, and it's probably easier on the nose wheel without differential braking, but I prefer toe brakes for the reasons listed above.

Why wouldn't the parts from a PA-28-? series work to convert?

I have the single hand brake in mine and got used to it quick. The bad news is that if you want to add toe brakes you have to add 2-4 master cylinders and basically take the whole plane apart to make it work.

You also want to avoid having to replace the hand brake master

Seems like not having right and left braking seperate would make taxi TURNING from headwind to a strong downwind darn near impossible.

Last edited:
No issue in turning my Comanche with a single handbrake.
This is from Barnstormers;
COMANCHE TOE BRAKES • $1,500 • FOR SALE • Comanche toe brakes, almost all parts, buyer pays shipping • Contact Richard C. Langhorst, Owner - located Waltham, ME USA • Telephone: 2036104380 • Posted May 7, 2016 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures
1x1.gif

Seems like not having right and left braking seperate would make taxi turning to a strong downwind darn near impossible.

Actually I've always found the PA24 one of the best ground handling trikes out there.

I think you will find out that you do not need the toe brakes, One big advantage of the hand break is that you have much better control in not locking up your brakes on very hard stopping (short field landings).

The PA 24 turns on a dime without the toe brakes. You can taxi to a strong downwind without any problem (low wing) without toe brakes.

Remember, to set the hand brake so that it locks (hands free) during run up, first pull the hand brake handle all the way back, then pull the chrome locking lever to set it. There is a placard that states that the hand brake will Not work while the chrome locking lever is engaged, you must push the chrome lever back "in" to reset the brake.

Yeah, the problem with that approach is that the poppet valve that hydraulically locks the brakes in Comanches is known to get stuck closed without any prior warning. A lot of Comanche guys never ever use the p-brake for that reason. Won't roll too good with parking brake stuck on, and getting the mc's out to repair is no quick fix.it's not a mechanical lock like the Cherokee.

Back