Comanche shops in the Mid Atlantic area?

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
Starting to covet 59-62 PA-24 180's with a serious eye. As part of my due diligence, I'd like to go talk with a couple A&P's that have some Comanche experience with the torque tube AD's, spar web and the recurrent gear stuff. Word has it that Lee airport has a pretty good shop. Any other recommendations?

I second the recommendation of Chesapeake at Lee. The Donaldson's are very good,

Hagerstown Air Service as well. I think they did several Comanches, one a restoration to "show" standards.

Look at the 250 over the 180.

Look at the 250 over the 180.

I'm keeping an open mind, but it's just me, the wife and a couple 40# dogs on most trips 3-500 nm or more. On longer trips, it's usually just me. The 250, in comparable condition, AF,Prop and SMOH times, seems to be significantly more $ up front and burns a couple, three more gals of fuel an hour. Not sure the cost is worth the benefit in my case.

I'm keeping an open mind, but it's just me, the wife and a couple 40# dogs on most trips 3-500 nm or more. On longer trips, it's usually just me. The 250, in comparable condition, AF,Prop and SMOH times, seems to be significantly more $ up front and burns a couple, three more gals of fuel an hour. Not sure the cost is worth the benefit in my case.

The extra fuel burn is negated by the additional speed so in reality fuel burns will be very close for both models.

Otherwise there is no appreciable difference between the 180/250 when it comes to maintenance. The 250 will have a higher resale value hence the higher purchase price.

Right now it's a buyer's market so take your time and find the best airframe.

You can always throttle back and cruise at 180 speeds. But you will really want the extra 70HP - not for cruise speed - but for takeoff performance and useful load.

Ed's right. I've always found it easier to run a more powerful engine at part throttle then to try to get a less powerful engine to do better than full throttle. Besides, I'm still able to get 10-11 gph out of my IO-540s in the Aztec at economy power (which comes out to 155 KTAS).

My flight instructor/A&P has a Comanche 180 that his dad bought brand new in 1962 and they still have it. He knows a thing or two about them, I'll give you his contact info if you want, send me a PM.

Jay Shearer (Shearer Aviation) @ Myerstown, PA has a pristine Comanche that he has restored and owns. I'm sure he knows them inside and out.

The head of the Commanche Society is in the SW VA area--Danville, perhaps? I don't remember his name, but you could find him on their website. I only encountered him when I was considering a Twinkie a couple of years ago. I am sure that he would have some recommendations.

Wells

Back