COM Transciever Problems

stsavios

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
stsavios
I have a KY-97a, that has started giving me Transmit problems. The problem is intermittent. I've had my mechanics look at it, but they can't seem to reduplicate the problem. It doesn't seem to be the radio; they say it is probably something else on the airplane. It is a static/squeaking sound. Does anyone have any opinions on what it could be?

Could be something simple like the push to talk switch getting flaky.

Just replaced that a few months ago, So I don't think It's that... Also, they thought it could have been headset related, but the problem persists with at least 3 different headsets, so I don't think it's that either

Found out it was the headset. Apparently, if the bad headset is in the airplane (even if it's not the one transmitting), it will cause problems.

Found out it was the headset. Apparently, if the bad headset is in the airplane (even if it's not the one transmitting), it will cause problems.

Wow! That's obscure. I'm guessing somehow the headset had become a tuned antenna?

That would be a good guess... I'm not really sure though. I'm just suprised my David Clark went out after only 6 years of service.

The mc and earphones use a common ground. My guess is the cords somehow got yanked and caused a ground fault or broken solder joint at the "y" connection. BTDT

David Clark wires break all the time at work. Any time you have a comm issue, remove all microphones and headsets and use one at a time.

That would be a good guess... I'm not really sure though. I'm just suprised my David Clark went out after only 6 years of service.

It lasted that long?! After mine went TU for the third time in as many years I round filed it:mad2:

Went Bose for mine and got a cheapy for my passnegers. So far my cheap headset is miles ahead of my DC in every possible way accept maybe comfort.

Back