Colored boards?

arnoha

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
arnoha
Hello all,

I'm really new here and also new to the on-line aviation community. So...I need a little help deciphering some of the code words.

I see references to various colored boards. Purple board? Red board? Often there's something dismissive about the sentence it's accompanied with. What is the magic decoder key for figuring out what folks are talking about? Where are our on-line communities and how do I find them? Does PoA have a sticky list of such resources I haven't found yet?

I am interested in a description and history of the boards and what sort of interactions there are between them. I'm not interested in creating a flame war...I know this board has something called a Spin Zone for that.

Blue board is where you are at (blue border)

Red board is AOPA (red border) -- a reincarnation of the former AOPA yellow,

and the purple board is, well, purpleboard.net

Red Board is AOPA's Forum and you have to be an AOPA member to participate. Purple Board was started by Kim Dennis Pardon so a group of folks could escape the Red Board. The Red is very rigid that all threads have aviation content and will shut down a thread in a heart beat. Purple is very social in nature and pretty much anything goes.

Red Board is AOPA's Forum and you have to be an AOPA member to participate. Purple Board was started by Kim Dennis Pardon so a group of folks could escape the Red Board. The Red is very rigid that all threads have aviation content and will shut down a thread in a heart beat. Purple is very social in nature and pretty much anything goes.

To close the loop, you may have figured out that the Purple Board for Pilots was started after both the "Red Board" and the "Blue Board" were both up and running-red plus blue equals purple.

They are each alike, yet very different.

Pilots of America was started when AOPA was compelled to shut down the old message boards they used to operate (the "Yellow Board") because of pervasive abuse by its users. There is a period of several months when Pilots of America Operated, while AOPA had no message boards.

Pilots of America, through its Management Council (and evolving group) tries to maintain a civil tone while still keeping a light hand on moderation; it can be a challenge!

By the way, for those who don't know: Pilots of America is owned by a not-for-profit corporation, and the management Council is comprised entirely of volunteers.

Happy flying!

here I thought purple was for a bunch of gay pilots? ...that's interesting. :D

I didn't know there was a purple board. I just went there, can't see any posts. I guess you have to create account first before you can read. Odd. Oh well, done with purple.

here I thought purple was for a bunch of gay pilots? ...that's interesting. :D

We like pilots of all kinds - and I am pretty sure they do at the Purple Board, as well.

The "Colored boards" eminated from the "Jim Crow" era, and really have no relevance in today's society.

:D

The "Colored boards" eminated from the "Jim Crow" era, and really have no relevance in today's society.

Yeah, just like being made to use the threads in the back of the board.

I didn't know there was a purple board. I just went there, can't see any posts. I guess you have to create account first before you can read. Odd. Oh well, done with purple.

That was an intentional design decision they made to prevent the posts from being publicly searchable.

That was an intentional design decision they made to prevent the posts from being publicly searchable.

Hmm, well ok. I wonder if that is where the tinfoil hat crowd hangs. Best part of any forum in my opinion is that it allows people to find answers by searching the web. I wouldn't have ever found POA otherwise.

Whereas the boards here are very searchable; sometimes the top Google hit on a phrase.

The color of the boards are out of date,there are so many aviation themed boards ,of all colors. If you realy want some good info,join all the boards your interested in. I and many others on this forum are ones real boards. This board has a broad range of experience,and knowledge ,with a taste of humor and politics .

Hmm, well ok. I wonder if that is where the tinfoil hat crowd hangs. Best part of any forum in my opinion is that it allows people to find answers by searching the web. I wouldn't have ever found POA otherwise.

I wouldn't necessarily say "tinfoil," but when the Purple Board was created it was known that some of the members would be posting from work. By having it non-searchable, it prevents bosses from catching their employees goofing off.

Also, the purple board has a lot less aviation content compared to the Blue Board, but more social content, as mentioned above.

NOpe...:D

surf-boards-rainbow.jpg

large.jpg
5267630-Vertical-wooden-fence-boards-for-backgrounds-or-textures-Stock-Photo.jpg

I think the preferred term now is Aviation-American boards.

You can't usurp "American" from the rest of the continent, especially the part known as "Central America" or "Latin America," to say nothing of the South American peoples!

We must bow to their superior numbers and scorn, and refer to ourselves as "North American Aviators" because that's how they distinguish themselves from us. (It's discriminatory if we use our term for them, but appropriate to use their term for us. right? :mad2:)

Apparently they don't mind lumping the United States of America in with Canada, while ignoring that Central America is still part of the North American continent . . . :confused:

Good information. It's interesting to know the history and also to be able to understand what folks are talking about. Thanks for all the info.

Is there a list on PoA of on-line social resources for pilots?

There is also eaaforums.org which used to be yellow (J3 Cub). Now it is trimmed in blue. The difference between AOPA and EAA forums I believe is you do not need to be a member to access EAA's. It is also not very active.

Back