Colorblind and wants to fly

Dr. Chien (or other knowledgeable posters):

What's the correct sequence to do an alternate approved test? Apply for the 3rd class first, fail the Ishihara, then go take the Farnsworth, etc. Or get the alternate test first, then apply for medical. i.e. do the alternate test providers expect the applicant to have a) an AME identified, b) medical application filed, and/or c) Ishihara failed at AME, before they can test you and issue a letter? Or can they just issue a "to whomsoever it may concern" type letter, and would such a letter be acceptable to an AME/FAA?

Would the AME wait to issue the 3rd class while I get the alternate tests (could be a few weeks), or is it better to ask him to issue the 3rd class with restrictions, then send alternate test paperwork to the FAA?

I can only tell you the way I do it. I have you prepare an 8500-8, and take pains so that you capture the copy of the PDF file, so I can see it without making it go live at FAA.

Then you get every type of dot test I've got- five of them. If you fail, it's an addition $100 and out we go to the light guns (I have to drive 20 mins each way to get them).

Then before we do anything, we talk and I have you look at the sectional, and identify colors. If you want the issuance ""not valid for flight at night or by light gun color signal" we do the exam and I issue. Note that that certificate is NOT a denial. it is an issuance.

By then we pretty much know how you'll do on the OCVT.

Last edited:
Same unregistered as ^^

Dr. Chien, thanks for your reply. For everyone's benefit, I want to mention that the Ohio State University in Columbus has a very wide range of FAA-accepted color vision tests which you could take before an OCVT, in case you are not satisfied with your AME's equipment or available range of tests.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back