Colorado Pilots - Sat Jan 15

Eric, you didn't comment on me waving at you like a crazed chimp at APA. ;)

At first you looked kinda worried like I was trying to signal you something bad about your aircraft, so I tried to smile big and told Karen to wav too. :D

Eric, you didn't comment on me waving at you like a crazed chimp at APA. ;)

At first you looked kinda worried like I was trying to signal you something bad about your aircraft, so I tried to smile big and told Karen to wav too. :D

I wondered who that was! I didn't reconized the plane and could see you through the plexi. Need to keep a list of N numbers.

You're right at first I thought you were ****ed about something. I went over all the ATC stuff in my head to make sure I hadn't blown it. Then I reconized the waves as friendly.

LOL! See, the "mythical" 182 does exist!

When I got back, I got 28, and was off by C-4 as per usual, the shortest ground route to our hangar.

Tower called me after I was already in the hangar row...

"N1279M right turn into the ramp, taxi to parking, this frequency."

I was soooo tempted to say, "You're up there in that big scary tower, we're already hiding from you in the hangar row." But he was busy, and probably wondered where the heck I went! LOL!

Just gave him "Taxiing to area Hotel via the ramp, 79M".

The ramp there is uncontrolled and they're so inconsistent about clearances over there next to 10/28. If I'd have called ground after exiting the runway I would have gotten the usual chastizing, "The ramp is uncontrolled."

Kinda goofy over there in Area Hotel. :)

I'm sure the tower guy's concern mostly was... "Where the heck did the Skylane go?" after his attention was focused on the 17/35 complex for a bit.

Get 'er done! :D

LOL! See, the "mythical" 182 does exist!

When I got back, I got 28, and was off by C-4 as per usual, the shortest ground route to our hangar.

Tower called me after I was already in the hangar row...

"N1279M right turn into the ramp, taxi to parking, this frequency."

That what Mari and I got on the the way back from PUB. Might have been my first time from the south. Mari helped with landmarks. We taxied all the way to Mayo, never heard from ground. Years ago I went to a controllers meeting at Jet Center East. They were emphatic about not want to hear from you in the non-movement areas. They do get a little touchy about local procedures. I hadn't been there for awhile and tried to call tower at the hold short. Mari reminded me very nicely that they expected you to monitor tower.

I will testify that there is a 182 at APA.

That what Mari and I got on the the way back from PUB. Might have been my first time from the south. Mari helped with landmarks. We taxied all the way to Mayo, never heard from ground. Years ago I went to a controllers meeting at Jet Center East. They were emphatic about not want to hear from you in the non-movement areas. They do get a little touchy about local procedures. I hadn't been there for awhile and tried to call tower at the hold short. Mari reminded me very nicely that they expected you to monitor tower.

I will testify that there is a 182 at APA.

APA can be fun. I went over there once for some avionics work. Landed on 35 right and promptly exited on the high speed. Well, the controllers really didn't want me there since someone was moseying south on alpha so I had to pull over on Signature's ramp (no fee but I'm sure they wanted to send me a bill). When it was time to move they just had me cross 10-28 rather than go back to alpha. There was a twin Cessna active in the non-movement area across 10-28 from me. The controller set it up nicely with: " ... cross 10-28 and taxi to parking...I don't know what the twin Cessna will do, we're not talking to him." With a set-up line like that I just couldn't resist coming back with "if you're not talking to him then I'm not talking to him either." I can't say that it got a chuckle from ground but they were nice to me on departure later that day.

Here's a pic.

attachment.php

Thanks to Murphey for organizing all these Colorado POA get-togethers!

Eric,

That is SO cool. Neat plane!

Okay, who's starting the thread for Jan 22-23? :)

Haven't looked at the long-range WX forecast yet. I also may have a "mission" to KCOS that I have to fly down to go to someone's house, and fly back... and of course, if the WX doesn't cooperate, I'll be driving down there...

A couple of years ago, the Airport Restaurant with the old tanker wasn't that bad of a hike in nice weather from the ramp there where GA aircraft could park, but I heard they moved the GA area, and haven't been in there in a while now.

Wasn't impressed with the food the day we went, nor the prices... but it's a thought for a place to go... maybe a bad/poor one. :D

Any thoughts on best GA FBO at KCOS anyway? Just curious. Last time I was there, that parking area had one set of frayed ropes that wouldn't have held down anything in a light breeze, and generally the GA ramp seemed pretty shoddy.

Solo's at KCOS. My wife and I (which means 'we drove') ate there last year - I thought the price was about as expected - moderate - and the food was ok. The Menu (pdf) is here.

Since we drove, I can't speak to GA access or not.

I think it's kinda cool ...

plane.jpg

GA access is park at Cutter and borrow their crew car. Cutter at COS is (at least was and haven't heard of a change) very "little plane" friendly. It's been a couple years since I made the trip to Solo's.

Okay, who's starting the thread for Jan 22-23? :)
Since I have shifting days off they have shifted away from the weekends for awhile so that's a no for me. I'm amazed that I have been able to make the last few get-togethers.

A couple of years ago, the Airport Restaurant with the old tanker wasn't that bad of a hike in nice weather from the ramp there where GA aircraft could park, but I heard they moved the GA area, and haven't been in there in a while now.
Like others have said, that's Solo's. I remembered being there and I couldn't think of how I got there for a minute. It was about 7 or 8 years ago when Denver got about 2 feet of snow and Colorado Springs got about 2 inches. We were trying to get back to KAPA but it went below minimums as did all the airports in the Denver area. Then it closed for 2 days and we were stuck in the Springs.

Ha. Darn it, I know better than to step in it that easily. Oh well.

Looking at the forecast, it looks like the weather pattern shifted too. :) Looks like the weekend's going to be... iffy.

Saturday's looking worse than Sunday -- we'll see if Sunday gets its act together! ;)

GA access is park at Cutter and borrow their crew car. Cutter at COS is (at least was and haven't heard of a change) very "little plane" friendly. It's been a couple years since I made the trip to Solo's.

You can also walk from Cutter. Its not far. Food was OK, but the plane is the attraction.

Starting to look better for Sunday... but still not "perfect"... and cold as all get-out... definitely a pre-heat day. Ugh. BRRR.

NWS says...

Saturday: A slight chance of rain and snow showers after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. North northwest wind between 3 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

Sunday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.

Starting to look better for Sunday... but still not "perfect"... and cold as all get-out... definitely a pre-heat day. Ugh. BRRR.

high near 46.
low around 19.

high near 39.
low around 25.

Ummm... :dunno:

Don't you have an engine heater on the 182? If so, you really don't need a pre-heat at those temps. If not... Why not? At least with what they charge for a pre-heat around here, it only takes about a dozen or two of them to pay for a Reiff preheater and a set of cowl plugs that will do VERY nicely. (I put my hands in the oil door to warm them up during preflight!)

And, BTW, those temps are NOT "cold as all get-out." :no:

It's 19ºF right now here in Milwaukee, but tonight's low will be -3ºF and tomorrow's high will be 7ºF.

But, when I get tired of winter, I simply go look at the weather in Yellowknife, NT - Home of the first season of Ice Road Truckers, and of course Ice Pilots NWT as well.

In Yellowknife, it's currently -27ºF. Tonight's low will be -31ºF and tomorrow's high will be -24ºF. :hairraise: now THAT is cold as all get-out! :D

Ummm... :dunno:

Don't you have an engine heater on the 182? If so, you really don't need a pre-heat at those temps. If not... Why not? At least with what they charge for a pre-heat around here, it only takes about a dozen or two of them to pay for a Reiff preheater and a set of cowl plugs that will do VERY nicely. (I put my hands in the oil door to warm them up during preflight!)

No, technically we don't need a pre-heat... starting at 40F isn't that bad on the ol O-470. we have written ops rules for our LLC that 40F and below, we do a pre-heat. We own a propane pre-heater and a little generator to run it, so we figure "Why not?" (Can also do the car/inverter thing for AC.)

At these "warmer" temps, it doesn't take long, and it's just our policy, since a 20 lb propane bottle is a lot cheaper than an engine overhaul. ;)

No electricity or water in/near our hangar, so no electric engine heater. Since we're mostly "weekend warriors" the aircraft sits most weekdays and gets cold-soaked.

If there's snow on the roof, it's significantly colder in the hangar than outside, during melting/good weather days. A little aluminum and steel beer cooler that's airplane-sized. :D

And, BTW, those temps are NOT "cold as all get-out." :no:

It's 19ºF right now here in Milwaukee, but tonight's low will be -3ºF and tomorrow's high will be 7ºF.

You can keep that ... um... "stuff". LOL!

Below 32F, I'm ready to become a snowbird. Losing 20 lbs (and falling) since last year isn't helping in this regard... no blubber to keep me warm anymore! :D

I'm ready for a trip to PHX. Or a beach. Luckily I own an aircraft, so that wouldn't be completely out of the question... but no time to do it right now!

;)

But, when I get tired of winter, I simply go look at the weather in Yellowknife, NT - Home of the first season of Ice Road Truckers, and of course Ice Pilots NWT as well.

In Yellowknife, it's currently -27ºF. Tonight's low will be -31ºF and tomorrow's high will be -24ºF. :hairraise: now THAT is cold as all get-out! :D

That's beyond cold into the "nucking futs" range. LOL! ;)

I'm thinking about wimping out on a flight this weekend. The dang drive wheel fell off the tug last weekend about 5 minutes after I "repaired" the clutch. It needs more work.

Tightened it up to adjust the angle the clutch wheel was hitting the drive belt, and then saw that the darn WELD that holds the left arm on the main frame has split... not cool. I need to call PowerTow and see if they'll sell us a new frame for the poor thing.

Could also re-weld it, but basically you have to completely disassemble the thing anyway, so it might be simpler to just swap frames. Depends on price.

[Follow-up: They redesigned their frames, so you need a new handle, etc... they sell a $700 kit to move the engine and transmission over to a new tug, but seems like it'll be easier to disassemble the thing and re-weld and gusset both sides. Argh.]

Also kinda curious how a weld could fail in that spot anyway... that almost certainly has to be a manufacturing/welding defect. There's just not that much pressure there, even if you're pushing down on the handle (leverage) to get the tire to bite in low-traction scenarios.

[More follow-up: Looking over the diagrams, it's a designed-in weak spot. Needs a gusset or brace to counteract the force on the arm.]

And our hangar entrance is always a low-traction scenario, this time of year... slightly uphill to come out of the hangar (very slight) and ice/snow tend not to melt there. Only gets a few hours of direct sunlight a day due to our hangar's shadow in the AM, and the other hangar row throwing shadows in the PM.

Doing it with one person and the normal tow-bar usually ends with at least one visit of butt to pavement... or a close call of same. Especially if the aircraft's tanks are full... right now, they're not... so at least it'd be do-able.

Stay warm, Kent... will come out and visit you in WI the SUMMER!

No, technically we don't need a pre-heat... starting at 40F isn't that bad on the ol O-470. we have written ops rules for our LLC that 40F and below, we do a pre-heat.

Yep, our procedures require "something" below 40, though in the actual rules it's only written as 20. (Also, no T&G's below 0 and no operation at all below -20.) Since all of our airplanes have built-in heaters, that something is generally just having it plugged in... And if the engine is cold, it's the FBO's fault for not plugging it in (or plugging it in with a bad cord) so they give us a butane preheat for free.

We own a propane pre-heater and a little generator to run it, so we figure "Why not?" (Can also do the car/inverter thing for AC.)

Ahh, cool beans.

No electricity or water in/near our hangar, so no electric engine heater.

That sucks... Oh well, sounds like you have a decent, if extra-effort-required setup.

If there's snow on the roof, it's significantly colder in the hangar than outside, during melting/good weather days. A little aluminum and steel beer cooler that's airplane-sized. :D

If you were in Wisconsin, most of the aluminum inside would NOT be the airplane. :rofl:

I'm thinking about wimping out on a flight this weekend. The dang drive wheel fell off the tug last weekend about 5 minutes after I "repaired" the clutch. It needs more work.

Well, it IS possible to pull a 182 by hand, as long as it's not uphill. ;) When I was a lineman, I used to pull a bunch of our planes out of the hangar by hand for the sake of exercise. The hardest plane to pull for me has always been the Arrow at Green Castle, since you need to pull it by hand up a fairly substantial hill, which is often coated with frozen stuff... And that's after you already pulled the 172 up the hill too! That was a good workout.

Stay warm, Kent... will come out and visit you in WI the SUMMER!

Hah! You're missing out. We are actually quite spoiled here - The club planes are in a community hangar and the FBO does all of the pulling out and putting away. In the winter, we can preflight inside the hangar, and then sit inside the airplane while they tug us out. We go out and play in the nice thick air (insert video clip of Mike, Larry and I in the 182 with full fuel, climbing at 1400 FPM... Whee!), and when we come back park with the wingtip about 10 feet from the terminal door, run inside and have them put the plane away for us. Yep, spoiled. :D

Back