Colorado Pilots Mtn Flying Course

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Coming up real soon - June 8 at KBJC (full-day ground) and the 5-6 hour practical flight is when you & the CFI schedule it. Flat rate for the ground (payable to CPA) and another flat rate to the CFI, considerably less expensive than any of the flying schools.

New this year - all the photos & videos will be provided to the students digitally in full color, suitable for loading on a tablet or computer. The text material will remain printed and handed out at the class.

The August school has been moved to Sept. 7 due to scheduling conflicts.

For more information,

http://coloradopilots.org/mtnfly_class.asp?menuID=103~103

And, if you're around the FAA building at AirVenture on Tuesday at 11 am, Bill Standerfer (lead instructor & co-creator of the program) will be giving a one-hour presentation of weather issues up in the hills.

These type courses are a great place to start honing better pilot skills, do you know specifically what places they will land at for this course?

These type courses are a great place to start honing better pilot skills, do you know specifically what places they will land at for this course?
Launch is usually BJC or APA, over Rollins/Corona Pass to Granby, southwest to Glenwood Springs , backtrack to Leadville to get the certificate, south to Buena Vista and/or Salida, then back to launch point. This is the generic route, subject to change. Sometimes Aspen or Rifle, etc. Depends on the CFI, the student and the airplane. Anything under 180 hp is strongly discouraged and sometimes forbidden. Cruise props also discouraged.

It is a great course. I did the ground school, but not the practical flight and it was still well worth the effort.

I'm signed up and eager to attend! Hope to meet some POA folks there, too.

Launch is usually BJC or APA, over Rollins/Corona Pass to Granby, southwest to Glenwood Springs , backtrack to Leadville to get the certificate, south to Buena Vista and/or Salida, then back to launch point. This is the generic route, subject to change. Sometimes Aspen or Rifle, etc. Depends on the CFI, the student and the airplane. Anything under 180 hp is strongly discouraged and sometimes forbidden. Cruise props also discouraged.

Only the low horsepower crowd backtracks north to go around to Leadville. :) :) :)

My route was Kremmling, Glenwood Springs, then Aspen, and a down-valley departure out of Aspen and over the ridgeline to the north / reverse course, and straight over the pass straight East to Leadville.

It's a continuous slog of a climb in a normally aspirated 182 from takeoff at Aspen until making the pass crossing altitude, but that day we didn't have to shuttle climb to do it. We would have had to do that for engine temps, not climb rate, if we did.

We were pushing the hard no-go limit on temperature departing Leadville. Warm day. CFI pointed out the break in the trees during the north departure and said to remember where it is... he's had to go through it before and then nurse a gentle turn south down valley to Buena Vista.

Dinner sounds great. I'm in! Runway Grille at the airport or other options within five miles at the Flatirons Mall.

I'll even organize it: Who's up for food, drink, and socializing after the ground school?

Dinner sounds great. I'm in! Runway Grille at the airport or other options within five miles at the Flatirons Mall.

I'll even organize it: Who's up for food, drink, and socializing after the ground school?

Lunch will be boxes catered in, not sure from where yet, but may be the Grille. Lots of restaurants over at Flatirons. Pick a time & place. If the weather's good, I'll fly over from Young Eagles at Centennial. Otherwise, I'll drive over.

Gonna overnight my monies and application Monday, looking forward to it. Former flat lander from Oklahoma pretty excited to take this course.

Gonna hopefully hook up with flying instructor little later after I have my aircraft up from Colorado. Wanted to take this course at the least before flying it up to its new home in Craig.

Also gonna join the CPA, looking forward to some good flying times!

Gonna overnight my monies and application Monday, looking forward to it. Former flat lander from Oklahoma pretty excited to take this course.

Gonna hopefully hook up with flying instructor little later after I have my aircraft up from Colorado. Wanted to take this course at the least before flying it up to its new home in Craig.

Also gonna join the CPA, looking forward to some good flying times!

Mid-July is Hulett, WY. Not mountain flying (do the whole trip at 9500/8500 from Denver). Check out the Events page on the CPA website for the upcoming flyins.

How many people are up for dinner afterwards?
Maybe Buca de Beppo? (Chain, large-portion, Italian-style food. Nearby and easy.)

Lemme know if you're interested and I'll make a reservation. (Or, if there's a better suggestion?)

Just got my confirmation from Terry today. Nothing like waiting till last minute (totally on my side, not hers)

Buddy of mine has to overnight my POH since it's still in Oklahoma but it's all going to work out.

I would love to eat afterwards and chew the fat with everyone but wife and kids have other plans for me.

Terri Barbo is a sweetheart for organizing this stuff for decades. She keeps her husband in line. ;)

Have fun in class, y'all.

Back