Colorado Front Range Transponder VFR Certification

l8evator

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
l8evator
It's time for a transponder certification. The local guy at Meadow Lake only does IFR level certifications and charges accordingly. I only need a VFR certification and would prefer to pay for that level. Does the Colorado group have shop suggestions and cost estimates for this service?

Scott

It's time for a transponder certification. The local guy at Meadow Lake only does IFR level certifications and charges accordingly. I only need a VFR certification and would prefer to pay for that level. Does the Colorado group have shop suggestions and cost estimates for this service?

Scott

Is he so busy doing IFR certifications that he can turn away a 15-30 minute job at about 1/2 the full IFR rate? And maybe find a flaky xpndr that needs some bench work for additional income?

Freedom at BJC. Call to set up an appt. Most reasonable price I found last year when I needed just the VFR.

Freedom at BJC. Call to set up an appt. Most reasonable price I found last year when I needed just the VFR.
Didn't take very long either. Didn't I fly up there with you for lunch and then walk around some of the FBOs while waiting for them?

BTIZ:

I don't know his reasons for running his business as he does, but I respect his right to do so. He offers a service and I choose not to buy unless my only other options cost more. Spending $200 on gas to fly round trip to another shop to save $100 on the fee wouldn't make sense and I suppose he has made that calculation as well. It's a thin market for these kinds of services and I should get used to the idea that running a simple Luscombe isn't so simple anymore. I suppose I could sell off the transponder and reinvest the proceeds in 100LL :lol:.

On my last conditional inspection I had the tranponder/ static/ pitot VFR check done.. The guy comes over from Idaho Falls, Id when we have a few planes to do at once..... $ 95.00... out the door..

Freedom Avionics did our last one since the airplane was there anyway for other things, but we usually have a guy who comes to the hangar. We're doing IFR always so I'd have to see if he has a lower rate for VFR.

You may consider Front Range Transponder. I believe the guy's name is Doug. Lives in Bailey. Works out of a van and does a good job. May give you a break on price if he's in the area already. May want to charge a bunch. Did I mention good work? Both the Aspen and the steam altimeter agree after he did my IFR cert. They didn't agree before the cert...

You may consider Front Range Transponder. I believe the guy's name is Doug. Lives in Bailey. Works out of a van and does a good job. May give you a break on price if he's in the area already. May want to charge a bunch. Did I mention good work? Both the Aspen and the steam altimeter agree after he did my IFR cert. They didn't agree before the cert...

I had FRT do my pitot static. In fact when I started calling shops to get it done, they just told me that they call Doug. It was $385 for the full IFR cert. Dunno if he does VFR only jobs too. He will tell you when he's going to be in the area, and you get to meet him that day.

I think that's the guy who did ours in the hangar. Had a few others lined up at the airport that day, I think. His business card is out at the hangar or I'd know for sure.

If that's who I think it is, Dick (Gene) Niehues [303-808-9276]. Many years ago he installed the audio panel and a new nav/com. Excellent job, too. Dick will do VFR, no problem.

Last edited:
If that's who I think it is, Dick (Gene) Niehues [303-808-9276]. Many years ago he installed the audio panel and a new nav/com. Excellent job, too. Dick will do VFR, no problem.

Yup, I had the name wrong, it's Dick and the number you show is still correct. He checked my intermittent transponder a couple weeks ago.

Yes. Dick does great work. He is a little higher than some but he comes to your hanger.

Bump for quick update....Dick tracked down the encoder problem I was having. Solution was a new encoder which was far cheaper than a new transponder. ATC was seeing me bounce between 5000 and 8000 while level at 6500 in the pattern.....

Last edited:
Back