Color Deficiency - Sectional Test

U

Unregistered

What is the process for taking the sectional portion of the color test to demonstrate ability? Does the examiner simply point to different areas of the sectional and ask what color he or she is pointing to? If so, does anyone have tips for "practicing"? I can differentiate that purple/magenta is slightly darker than blue, but I'm very early in my training so looking at everything on a sectional is still a bit overwhelming. Thanks, in advance, for the help!

First tip: do it in defective light. 700K fluoresecent lighting. Why? That's what's at the FSDO in their conference room.

Second: Know cold where the dashed magenta (Class E to the surface) areas are, not just the blue dashed lines.

Third: know the colors on the LEGEND to the sectional COLD. The legend is where candidates fail.

If one already has a signal light gun SODA, does that need to be repeated, or is it just an appointment to read a sectional under bad florescent light? Also, is there anyone that can act as a practice test?

In the old days the light gun SODA was good for 3rd. If so it still is. It will say on the SODA.

For third class, these are the instructions to the Inspector on how to do this test:
The ability to read and correctly interpret in a timely manner aeronautical charts, including print in various sizes, colors, and typefaces; conventional markings in several colors; and terrain colors. Aeronautical chart reading may be performed under any light condition where the chart will normally be read. The ASI or AST must provide the aeronautical chart.

For third class, these are the instructions to the Inspector on how to do this test:
That is currently, Ron. Way back when it was different.

The link to the federal document is in the attachment.

Attachments

• ColorVisionWaiverProcedure09-plain.doc
    29 KB · Views: 4,265
In the old days the light gun SODA was good for 3rd. If so it still is. It will say on the SODA.

So if the SODA says good for third class, and method is signal light gun test, the holder is good to go with no further testing? The date on the SODA was 1994.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back