Colomban CriCri Jet

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
So having owned a few of these little jet engines in the past.. the idea of an ultralight being powered by them has DEFINITELY ran through my mind a dozen or a hundred times..

Would this even be legal? (powering an ultralight)

Each of those runs about $4k. weighs under 6lbs each..
now, safety would be a different issue, but for the most part they are pretty reliable..
I would, in a heartbeat fly this thing.
Thoughts?

Interesting, but a twin can't be LSA...
and LSA requires a single reciprocating engine.

Does it qualify as ultralight? Must be less than 254 pounds empty weight.

Subpart A—General

§ 103.1 Applicability.

This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle is a vehicle that:

(a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant;
(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;
(c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and
(d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or
(e) If powered:

(1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;
(2) Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;
(3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and
(4) Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated

Last edited:
keep in mind past iterations of jet CriCris have their already-low endurance chopped even further.

Old Franklin strap a jet engine on that Waco, how was Probably the coolest thing I ever saw at an airshow (Sun-n-Fun) when I saw him fly it, totally unexpected as we thought it was just a regular old Waco.

They are registered as E/AB in this country and you need ME license to fly one. They can't be LSAs, or Ultralights only due to the twin engines. Because of the twin engines, you have to hold a ME rating to fly one just like you do with a Leza Aircam. Like some one else said, putting jet engines on a Cri-Cri just takes a plane with short endurance and makes it even shorter with not much advantage.

I did note that these engines seem to have screens on them to prevent ingestion of debris or birds. Is this typical with this engine, or did these guys engineer that?

Well, that's one way of getting that coveted multi-TPIC :D

Back