Cold Medicine and Flying

U

Unregistered

I have a cold, and other than congestion feel fine. Going flying soon, was wondering what OTC medicines are okay to take and what are not. As well as your personal preferences on what to use. My biggest issue is not that I feel bad, but I am worried about sinus pressure (and ears) while climbing and descending.

I know to stay away from NyQuil (for several days) and cough medicines / antihistamines. But what about other drugs for congestion?

Sudafed
Mucinex
Afrin
?

The only reliable source for what's OK and what's not is your friendly local AME.... His name is on your medical certificate... Feel better soon.....

You've named them. The three are legal. Do you really want to fly in that condition?

p.s. watch out.. "Sudafed" isn't the same as "Sudafed Cold", "Sudafed Flu" etc. read labels carefully. Read ingredients, and check those...

Usually if I decide I need that stuff shoved down my face, it's not a good time to be flying.

A couple of years ago I sent a young Regional Co-pilot to the ENT for skin graft replacement of the tympanic membrane, through which the pus had drained during descent into DEN. He was down about 3 months.

A couple of years ago I sent a young Regional Co-pilot to the ENT for skin graft replacement of the tympanic membrane, through which the pus had drained during descent into DEN. He was down about 3 months.

No issues to report. I am able to tell if my Eustachian tubes are clogged or not without doing any flying. They were open for business so I had a comfortable flight.

If you can tell, more power to you. God thing you bypassed Sinus block, too. I dive and I'm here to tell you it's not pretty....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back