Cognitive Screen Evaluation

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by Unregistered, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Before soloing, in addition to my medical (due to a chronic condition), I am required to do the Aero Medical Cognitive Screen Eval.

Has anyone else here had to take this eval?

There are, apparently, only a very small number of doctors in the country who give this test, and I was FLOORED when told that I would need to make two office visits ($150.00/apiece) and pay $300.00 for the test here locally.

I'd love to know a little bit more about this test if there is anyone who has had it administered. Thanks in advance!

2. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    Before passing GO and spending your $200, I suggest contacting Dr. Bruce Chien directly (www.aeromedicaldoc.com).

Explain your current situation and why it is you've been told you need to do the CogScreen. You will also get guidance of how to get the screening done so that the FAA will accept it the first time.

From past threads, it is my understanding that the CogScreen must be done a certain way, buy a particular set of doctors, otherwise it's not accepted and you're out the money you spent for the bad report and the money you'll need to spend for the correct report.

Also, by paying Dr. Chien for his services and making him the AME of record (as in going to Peoria if needed for your exam), your chances of getting your third class will improve greatly over picking an AME out of the phone book.

3. Kelvin

Kelvin En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    KTD
    :yeahthat:

4. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    BTW it's called COGSCREEN

The test is now a well validated comparison of about 12 of your cognitive processes normed to a population of similar age. The reason it is limited is it is dependent on your not being able to prep it as you can for many of the tests on the internet. That is actually to your advantage, as sometimes it is exculpatory. The test self validates, so that if you have seen it before, it will know and a portion will not be available to support your "normalcy". Then it gets really expensive.

Dr. Gary Kay, in Washington, made this his Ph.D thesis project and has spent a lifetime getting the population norms to make it useful. We use it for:

Alcoholics
    depression meds
    Kids who were pilled instead of studied in their middle school years (ADD).
    Post stroke
    Questions of competency.
    ...and there are a few others.

I would NOT get it from just anyone local yokel. I would go to a reputable guy known to FAA as a lot is riding on this. Where are you physically located?

PS I think I remember an email on this in the last few days, but I've lost it.....

5. gprellwitz

gprellwitz Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grant Prellwitz
    Somewhat off-topic, there was somebody at the FAA pavilion at Oshkosh this year who was doing some sort of a study trying to establish pilot norms. They were asking pilots to come in and do some sort of psych evaluation. They said that they would give you a code to allow you to access the anonymized study later and it would be used as a baseline if you ever had any future problems. Could that be related to this sort of test?

6. AggieMike88

Display Name:

Display name:
    That someone figured out the questions and method of testing to accomplish this is fascinating. (and no, I'm not being snarky)

7. asgcpa

asgcpa En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CPA
    Plus 1 here. Dr. Bruce gives sage advice. :yeahthat:

8. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    That was Dr. Gary Kay, beefing up his statistical database. It's a lifetime of work.

9. Porter

Porter Guest

My COGSCREEN cost me $2,900. I pray I have enough money because honestly I know I can go through the school. I am required to to take it because of medication I took over 3 years ago. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child but i have out grown it. Further more I believe $2,900 is way too expensive for any type of test.

10. AggieMike88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Has the "out grown it" been officially tested for and properly documented by the board certified and licensed psychiatrist or psychologist specializing in ADHD? If not, then that will be a required item to prove that statement to the FAA.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  11. lbfjrmd

lbfjrmd Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    FAA HIMS/AME/ATC flight doc
    no, there are many psychologist that can administer said testing, all across the fruited plains!

12. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    yes IIRC there are ~45 of them who have access to the pilot norms. "HIMS Neurospychologists".

13. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Gotta pay the toll before ya can cross the troll.

Besides $300 isn’t that bad when it comes to aviation, or appeasing the crown, just remember to study before your test

14. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    Actually, trying to prep is a bad idea. Many of the tests are self validating, that is, they can detect when prep happened. Do that to enough tests and the psychologist is left with only second rung tests to clear you. If they have no tools you can't be cleared. You have to get an affirmative result.

Best thing to do is (1) Get a good night's rest nad (2) absolutely have Zero OTC anything in your system.

So, "Not a good idea, Mav."

15. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Right

16. A1Topgun

A1Topgun Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron
    Ditto, a couple of years ago at Oshkosh "they" were doing a "study" to build the "norms". I took the "test" and a few weeks after Oshkosh you could go to a web site, enter a code and see your results as to where you placed within the study group.

17. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    Do those study tests have to be reported as visits to a health professional? ;)

18. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    No. If you didn’t pay for the test then it’s considered a visit to a health amateur. Possibly a health volunteer. Definitely not a pro.

Great advice in this thread. Best of luck to the prospective student.

19. skier

skier Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skier
    Just out of curiosity, how is Cogscreen different from other neuropsychological evaluations? From reading their website, it seems identical to the neuropsychological eval that I had done after a head injury, except it appears to be given on a computer rather than in person.

Is it somehow specific to aviation or is it still just a general evaluation?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  20. AggieMike88

Display Name:

Display name:
    From https://www.cogscreen.com/
    • One version, CogScreen-AE, meets the FAA's requirement for a sensitive and specific neuro-cognitive test battery for use in the medical re certification evaluation of pilots with known or suspected neurological and/or psychiatric conditions CogScreen-AE is not a test of aviation knowledge or flying skills, but rather a measure of the underlying perceptual cognitive, and information processing abilities associated with flying (Imhoff & Levine, 1986)

21. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I suppose that's intended to be a joke, but the answer is factually incorrect.
    Professional doesn't equate to being paid.
    Whether you pay for a medical visit, doesn't affect the reportability.

22. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    You feel good, now, or is that log still lodged where it doesn’t belong? ;)

I hope more and more misdiagnosed or incorrectly diagnosed youngsters can overcome the things they were saddled with and become pilots. This thread has some great info for the OP and others looking to learn.

23. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    And your two posts helped how? One is nothing but a profane ad hominem attack and the other was misleadingly wrong if taken seriously.