Cockpit Firearm Discharge Damage

Why is US Air terminating him? Did his story of "accidental" not flesh out with with the CVR and co-pilot report? Or is it knee-jerk? I don't know either way.
I agree that we probably don't have even close to the whole story.

I have one question. If this account is correct, is it normal procedure to be handling your gun while descending through 8,000 feet?

ANN said:
Capt. James Langenhahn was suspended from the airline three days after the March 22 incident, which occurred as the Airbus A319 he was piloting descended through 8,000 feet to land in Charlotte, NC.

Last edited:
I agree that we probably don't have even close to the whole story.

I have one question. If this account is correct, is it normal procedure to be handling your gun while descending through 8,000 feet?

Probably not if the field elevation was 7,000 feet.:no::dunno:

That's just plain wrong. I hope he not only fights it but sues their ass and wins big. The idiotic rules established "The Stupid Agency" for carrying a sidearm have invited such an event.

I'm not sure where he'd have to file but I'm betting he'll do best in those areas where people "cling to their gun."

How much ya wanna bet that he can't defend himself by citing the stupid padlock design and rules because any mention of the training and rules is a national secret? :mad:

As they mentioned on last week's "60 Minutes" evidently now materials can be classified - even after they were not - if they're re-labeled as "EMBARRASSING."

Probably not if the field elevation was 7,000 feet.:no::dunno:
LOL, what I was getting at with my post was questioning whether handling your gun (other than if you had an intruder) below 10,000 would be considered an approved activity under the Part 121 sterile cockpit rule.

Last edited:
How many pilots get fired for breaking that rule?:rolleyes:
Probably not many, but not many pilots end up poking holes in the sides of their airliners either....

LOL, what I was getting at with my post was questioning whether handling your gun (other than if you had an intruder) below 10,000 would be considered an approved activity under the Part 121 sterile cockpit rule.

That is a very good question. I'd really like to know the stated required proceedures of the program.

The plane is an easy fix. They will just smack a patch over it with 20 or so rivots Total cost well under $500 with labor. There are patches over a lot of these planes. They usually cover larger damage from the rampers hitting into the planes.

Back