CNX VFR Trip Today

Mooney Fan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
After having my Cherokee for 15 months, for the first time I delayed a trip to Waupacca Wisconsin today where a bunch of us are meeting up for the mass Cherokee arrival to OSH on Saturday. For the most part, en-route was fine, 3500' scattered with occasional broken, but home plate KHZD was socked in at 700' OVC. TAF's had it raising to MVFR by 1300Z but no joy. By 1615Z, same..... same......

I had her all packed, pre-flighted, ready to roll. I bought the plane thinking I would never really need to go anywhere if it was IFR. Today had me thinking that one again. How I wished for an IFR departure to VFR on top. Reality is, I canceled the flight.

So I sit here back at home with a cold one looking out the window and realizing I made the right call. Even though all I needed was ~40 miles NW scud run from home plate to where VFR conditions prevailed. Instead, I hung it up. Planning a 0330 departure tomorrow morning into forecasted VFR SCT250. There is this pesky 'BR' showing though.......

Might wind up flying to Osh on Friday. Hate to cool my heels that much, but the wx looks like it's going to turn to liquid spoo afterwards.

Back