CNET reviews iPAD mini Retina

I had planned to add an Mini now that it has upgraded it's processor and added Retina, but I love the bigger screen of the full sized. I just to my iPad Air this week and it's more diminutive size and significant weight reduction has me rethinking that. I really love the Air! (or iPad 5!)

I had planned to add an Mini now that it has upgraded it's processor and added Retina, but I love the bigger screen of the full sized. I just to my iPad Air this week and it's more diminutive size and significant weight reduction has me rethinking that. I really love the Air! (or iPad 5!)

I'm curious about the stability of the new iPads. My iPad 3 is rock-solid stable (even with iOS 7), but my new iPhone 5s is a crash machine by comparison. Most of the time, the crashes appear to be of the SpringBoard app, which I believe is Apple's system app launcher. Apple replaced the iPhone once, and the new one does the same thing. I'm wondering whether it has to do with the software on the A7, or whether it's a hardware problem specific to the iPhone 5s.

JKG

Are you yoke mounting the Air? I am curious if it makes yoke mounting feel too heavy on the controls still.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm curious about the stability of the new iPads. My iPad 3 is rock-solid stable (even with iOS 7)

That's interesting. They must have really improved the stability from the one to three. My one, that I just retired, was the crashing-est machine I've ever owned of any type.

...from day one.

Are you yoke mounting the Air? I am curious if it makes yoke mounting feel too heavy on the controls still.
Curious as to what plane you've flown that yoke mounting affects "the feel". I can't tell the difference.

Last edited:
I went from an iPad 1, never crashed, to the iPad air. The air is vastly superior, IMO.

That's interesting. They must have really improved the stability from the one to three. My one, that I just retired, was the crashing-est machine I've ever owned of any type.

...from day one.

Prior to the iPad 3, I had an iPad 1, and it was very stable as well. If yours crashed frequently, and it wasn't jailbroken, then there was something wrong. Software restores generally clear up software issues, and I usually start out that way with a new device. However, that hasn't worked for me with the iPhone 5s, which uses the same processor as the new iPads.

JKG

Curious as to what plane you've flown that yoke mounting affects "the feel". I can't tell the difference.

172. Made the yoke feel heavy and felt like the iPad was going to fall of with aileron input.

David

172. Made the yoke feel heavy and felt like the iPad was going to fall of with aileron input.

David
Huh...I yoke mounted my iPad 1 with a ram mount for 3 years and I couldn't even tell it was there. And it was quite secure at all attitudes and inputs.

Now it'll be an iPad 4.

I'm curious about the stability of the new iPads. My iPad 3 is rock-solid stable (even with iOS 7), but my new iPhone 5s is a crash machine by comparison. Most of the time, the crashes appear to be of the SpringBoard app, which I believe is Apple's system app launcher. Apple replaced the iPhone once, and the new one does the same thing. I'm wondering whether it has to do with the software on the A7, or whether it's a hardware problem specific to the iPhone 5s.

JKG

I've seen FF crash once and Facebook app crash a couple of times. Otherwise no issues. It's at least as good as any previous version I've had.

Are you yoke mounting the Air? I am curious if it makes yoke mounting feel too heavy on the controls.

The Air fits between the horns of the Apache now. And it's not much more weight than my Nexus, so I think it could mount just fine. I'm exploring options.

Back