Club Troubles

U

Unregistered

tldr: Our club has money issues and no one wants to do anything about it. Any words of advice?

I am a part of a 10 share of which 7 shares are held by members and 3 of which are for sale. Our currently problems is that 5 of the members rarely fly and currently our hourly rate is barely enough to keep us afloat and has already diminished our engine reserve. I have proposed raising the hourly rate and trying to sell the 3 remaining shares, but no one seems to want either of those options. I am running out of patients and can't find a way to convince the members that we need to do something. At our current rate our engine will be at it's TBO is 5 years or so. Any comments or solutions welcomed. Thanks for reading.

If you're at TBO in five years, you have plenty of time.

The general solution is to raise rates. That's how the club earns money. It's unreasonable for one of you to front cash, when everyone flies. Alternatively you could aggressively advertise the three slots.

We're trying to sell the 3 slots but they're selling them way over what they're worth.

I guess the other thing is there's not money for upgrades, i.e. waas gps, AP, etc. sadly no one wants them except for a couple of us. I think if we add a 430/530 that would increase the value of the airplane and we'd be able to sell the shares easier and use that money for the TBO.

We're trying to sell the 3 slots but they're selling them way over what they're worth.

Who owns the shares right now, the club ?

You may want to think about a bylaws change and consolidating the number of for-sale shares to 2 or 1 and to adjust the price based on the fair market value of the aircraft. With the smaller number of shares, the price you ask for that one share will seem more reasonable. If they are club-held shares, selling them will bring an influx of cash which could be used to replenish the overhaul reserve and do some upgrades.

There'd be 4 slots for sale, one would be cheaper than the other 3. Do you see the majority of the members having a change of heart and staying that way for years to come?

Sell low and get out while you can.

definitely thinking about it. I might just get my instrument rating then get out. I won't find anything cheaper that this but definitely will find something more capable.

Issue a capital call for the reserve and raise the rates after an honest analysis of cost...this happens

I agree with Dean except on a few minor points. I am treasurer for a much larger club and have been doing it for close to ten years.

First, as he said, the dues must cover the fixed costs. This ensures that the club will still be in good shape if no one flies at all.

Second, again as he said, the airplane rate must cover the variable costs of flying the airplane: engine time, maintenance, etc. Take a long view of "maintenance" -- like five years or more -- because maintenance can vary a lot year-to-year. I have seen an airplane cost $15K one year and $4K the next.

Third, don't take a risk on fuel cost. Either require that members buy fuel directly or do what we do: We bill each month's wet rate based on our actual fuel cost/gallon for the month. This means that the rate changes every month and that when people fly they don't know to the penny what their wet rate will be. But nobody has ever complained and this approach ensures that we take no risk and that we neither under- nor over-charge for fuel.

The one thing I somewhat disagree with is the concept of "budget." Usually having a "budget" like, for instance, dining out means that if you spend your budget for the period you stop dining out. Airplanes are not like that. You spend what you have to spend to keep the airplane safe and airworthy. I tell club members that 85% of our costs are uncontrollable and that when we have a good year or a bad year it is simply a matter of luck. In fact I'm not sure that even 15% of our expenses are controllable. I am sure about the luck part.

We are fortunate enough to have a $50K credit line that we can use to smooth things out from year to year. Most clubs, and certainly most smaller clubs, will have to handle the smoothing with member assessments. I know of one club in town that has a regular December assessment to balance the year's books. I would advise that you not go to that extreme, but you have to realize that the money must come from somewhere. And the only "somewhere" available to you is members' wallets.

Re selling memberships, the market will tell you what they are worth. Make a survey of other clubs in the area and see where you stand. This is good to do for airplane rates, too. That's what prospective members will do. Then, price at the market. Realize that every month that an overpriced membership sits unsold is a month's dues that you aren't getting. In the longer term, the solution is to make members responsible for selling their own shares and, coincidentally, being responsible for paying dues until they do sell.

Finally, regarding your comment "... no one wants to do anything about it." That doesn't surprise me. It is human nature to avoid making a decision when all the choices are undesirable. Instead of choosing the least-bad alternative we freeze and remain frozen until the situation deteriorates to the point where a decision is forced upon us. Speaking as a former/retired CEO, I will tell you from experience that refusing to decide in such a situation portends disaster. (Yes, the current paralysis on solutions to the nation's deficit is an example.)

PM me if you'd like to discuss this more on the phone. I'd be happy to help. Or, as Bruce advised, you can just bail. :)

When I was club president in our flying club we ran into a problem with an excessively expensive annual. We expected it to be $1500. And it turned out to be $3500. We did not have the funds in. The club to cover it. Ii fronted the money to cover the bill and then set about developing a budget to better manage our expenses. The budget I created gave us very good handle on our fixed expenses and resulted in only a $5.00 per month dues increase to cover those costs. It also allowed us to forecast the other expenses which happen, such as repairs and engine overhaul and strengthen our reserve fund to be prepared for those expenses. It also allowed us to set and adjust our hourly rate as costs changed very easily. Just plug in the numbers and it would tell us what our rate should be. It allowed us to see on a monthly basis exactly where we stood versus our plan. It was the beginning of getting the club back on a sound financial footing. When I left the club about a year later we were in the black and building a reserve. My replacement as club president stayed with the plan and tweaked it as circumstances changed to stay on track. Five years later the club is in great shape with enough in reserve to cover an engine overhaul and has even done some radio upgrades as well. They are doing great. You need a budget to show you where you are and where you need to be. A well laid out plan is easier to sell to your other club members because they can understand it and what will happen if something does not change. In a sense it is a sales job to get them to do what is in their own best interest. I may be able to get you a current copy of the spreadsheet as it now stands. If interested PM me and I will contact the club president, I know they would be happy to assist. Really great bunch of people , and I do miss the group.

Randy

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back