Clow airport: Drug trafficking hub!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Grant this is about your home airport.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...gbrook-airport-drugs-20130210,0,4305549.story

Jose Mares-Barragan, 31, and another unidentified drug leader told the informant they had tons of cocaine ready to ship and the pilot could make almost $40,000 flying 25 kilos on a light aircraft from California to the small airport in Bolingbrook, according to a charging document.

Clow airport, situated just yards from strip malls and subdivisions typical of Chicago's suburbs, seems an unlikely hub for a large drug trafficking operation. But there's a growing use of smaller airports by regional drug rings hoping to move large amounts of narcotics, said Jack Riley, the Drug Enforcement Administration's special agent in charge of its Chicago division.

"Really we're beginning to see that more and more domestically," he said. "Of course, the Mexican organizations will move it across the border virtually any way possible. But the regional organizations are moving dope and money into smaller airports where there's really less law enforcement and most of them don't even file a flight plan. It's very effective."

The use of aircraft rarely forms the basis for charges in federal drug trafficking cases, which typically involve drugs hidden in semi trucks, cars or even people.

In this case, the pilot was to fly to Bolingbrook on a June weekend and return to California with bundles of cash for the Mexican suppliers. DEA agents arranged the pickup of the cocaine in Palm Desert, Calif., and then at some point swapped it for sham narcotics, which were stuffed into a black duffel bag.

Two people were arrested at the airport in Bolingbrook and agreed to cooperate with authorities. Agents also arrested a man, who did drug deals from a "Mr. Sandman" email address, who wanted to buy 13 kilos, records show.

So file those flight plans, only drug traffickers don't! :rolleyes:

That's why I carry while piloting. You never know if you might run into some drug lords or other bad guys. Too bad you can't do the same in your so called part of America.

This is my home airport. No joke. I have heard through the grape vines about this actually.

We had the local guys meet a Cherokee 6 in neighboring Fulton County down here about six months ago. Some guy from California carrying a BIG load.

The local constabulary was pretty laughable.
And, there was noplace available to lock up the plane (evidence!).

Chicken feed for Chicken Little. :rolleyes2:

Do the numerous cars, trucks, and boats used regularly to haul contraband within the USA file flight plans? Is the average schmuck concerned about that?

But oh yeah... everybody knows about that kind of smuggling... but it's just more sinister with airplanes, isn't it? :rolleyes2:

When I was actively playing the interdiction game I remember reading a GAO report that guesstimated, according to Customs’ Office of Intelligence, that
private aircraft transported about 19 percent of the cocaine, about 16
percent of the marijuana, and less than 1 percent of the heroin and
hashish smuggled into the United States. This was in the mid 80s as I recall. A VAST majority of smuggled drugs come via water and land crossing points. It's easy to pick a target out of the air, not so much at sea.

Hey, I watched an episode of (flashback alert) Dragnet a couple of weeks ago that focused on a renter bringing in drugs from Mexico in a rented 172.

And Will, Jolan will love hearing that! In fact, I thing she's working tomorrow!

I think most GA airports have had illicit traffic come through them. Sometimes detected, other times not. The same is true for most other transportation hubs, like truck stops, shipping yards, and bus stations.

Both Mena and Huntsville, AR would lose 1/2 (or more) of their aircraft if all the drug runners got busted. ;)

Back