CloudAhoy for gps tracking and photography?

rkdF250

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robert
I have heard about this program and finally installed it today. For some reason I still have not received my activation email so I have a question for the group. Do you know if it is possible to export the GPS coordinates time stamped off the website? I have a program that will match the GPS coordinate up with my photos so I can map the pictures. I need an iPhone program or website that will produce a GPS/Timestamp file.
If anyone is doing this type of thing I would appreciate any information you can provide. In the past I have used my IPhone but I really want better quality photos and video. If it helps I use a Canon EOS Rebel T1i for this type of photography.

. I need an iPhone program or website that will produce a GPS/Timestamp file.

I know of a programmer who lives in Colleyville who might be able to create that app. I hear he's a pilot too. :D

Cloud Ahoy is a pretty cool app. I like it, but keep forgetting to turn it on after the run-up.

I guess I need to add it to my checklist...

I know of a programmer who lives in Colleyville who might be able to create that app. I hear he's a pilot too. :D

Dude thats me LOL
I am trying to save some time and just find one....

I am currently working on an app that will work on the IPHONE or IPAD to take high speed photos and focus on the outside of the airplane. This way all you have to do is press a really large button on the screen and it will take high speed photos for a predefined burst rate. Then you can flip through them after the flight and keep the ones you want. It will only be released on IOS 7 but I will have alpha releases IOS 6.

Lots of options here.

If your goal is simply to get georeferenced photos, IMHO you should just get a camera that does this for you. No software, no delay, no screwing around. My wife's Panasonic ZS10 takes very high quality photos and will georeference them automatically. I have seen ZS10s on "deal" web sites IIRC not much more than $100. There are several other manufacturers offering cameras with this capability as well. Nikon offers a flash-shoe GPS that can be used with several of their cameras. Possibly Canon does too.

If you need both georeferenced photos and a time stamped track file, the plot thickens a little bit. I have looked at several cameras that will stamp photos and also provide a track file, but every one I have looked at provides only a sequence of positions -- without times. All of them include software that will display the track and the photos on Google Earth but none use the available Google earth API for time-stamped track files.

Loggers, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/AGL3080-Logger-Windows-Software-included/dp/B000WO6HJW are dead simple and come with Google earth software.

On your original plan, there is an iThing app called GPSTrack that works well. On Android, Google "My Tracks" does more or less the same thing. Personally, I would not use an app like Cloud Ahoy simply because producing track files is not its main intent. Hence there is more UI to deal with and you aren't using the app's main features anyway.

Finally, if you need accurate time stiamps -- to within seconds, not a minute or two -- and you are using a non-GPS camera, that is difficult because it is difficult to set the camera time accurately. For time setting, the best is to call the NIST time service at 303-499-7111. Another option is to find a GPS app that displays current time to the second and updates it every second. Use the GPS time to set your camera clock or take a photo of the screen so you will know the camera clock offset error and you can correct for it.

HTH

Thanks for the insight. Of course like everyone else I want it all. I like the features of CloudAhoy and I want the timed log. Last night I think I solved several of the problems you mentioned above. I can sync my computer, camera, iPad, iPhone and iTouch with the world time down to the millisecond prior to leaving. That should get me close enough to the location of the picture.

Back