Cloud flying

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
Sometimes in just want to fly in clouds but not be instrumented rated. No desire to get instrument rated certificate. We have too much VFR weather in AZ to even bother for a local flying pilot like me.
If it’s a cloudy day do you think I could call up a local flight schools and request an instructor to go flying in IMC? Just for fun. Of course we would have to file an IFR flight plan. I don’t mean hard IMC conditions. Just punch in and out of clouds.

Yes, but in AZ it will be somewhat difficult to find days with a fair amount of cloud and a freezing level above the MEA. Usually some cold fronts in January - March may meet this criterion. For the IFR flight plan, you have to be able to fly at or above the MEA.

It’s not weird at all. It’s learning about flying in conditions in which you have no experience. Remember: A good pilot is always learning.

Having said that, please remember that a brief introduction to cloud flying in no way prepares you to undertake such flight on your own. Just have to say that (no disrespect intended).

I recommend you contact a flight school before the needed weather conditions occur. That way they’ll understand your interest in advance and you might actually succeed in getting into a cloud while the weather is still around.

MEA flight might not even be necessary; you don’t actually have to fly en route to some destination somewhere. You can file a flight plan for local approaches or just get a pop-up clearance and then fly in and out of clouds while above the minimum vectoring altitude and on an assigned vector.

Dropping over to California might give you the necessary weather.

The only time I encounter clouds in AZ, I'm running like hell from them. Seems it's either clear-and-a-million or massive-thunder-apocalypse and nothing in between.

Are there many opportunities to go be-bop through some fair weather clouds in AZ?

Sometimes in just want to fly in clouds but not be instrumented rated. No desire to get instrument rated certificate. We have too much VFR weather in AZ to even bother for a local flying pilot like me.
If it’s a cloudy day do you think I could call up a local flight schools and request an instructor to go flying in IMC? Just for fun. Of course we would have to file an IFR flight plan. I don’t mean hard IMC conditions. Just punch in and out of clouds.

Yes. Good idea. Be careful though. You just may have a new desire. That is to become instrument rated.

And, just to add: flying IFR is not just about flying IMC. MOST IFR flying is VMC. IFR flying is about learning to precisely control your plane. The training and certificate is worth it, even if you never see a cloud.

And, thank you for attending this soap box session and allowing me to preach. Please return to your everyday life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back