Closing ATC Towers...not so fast

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
I just read that they are holding off on closing towers for a while anyway.

How many saw this coming?

I think it has more to do with the lawsuits that have been filed and the concerns raised by users and airport managers than any political agenda. Closings have been postponed until June 15th, but I think it is inevitable that some facilities will close. Rather than trimming with a scalpel, the FAA chose to trim with an ax and throw nearly all of the FCTs under the bus. The only predictable part of this is that the FAA was inept and without a thought out plan. Despite your personal feelings about the need for towers, the FCTs handle 28% of the counted traffic and only make up 14% of the cost.

It's hard to justify the vast majority of the decisions the government made WRT to "sequester" cuts, because there is no cut. The rat eof increae has been affected but no actual cuts in spending exist.

The miscalculation on the part of idiots (those that decided to make these visible cuts and blame the other party) backfired and the approval ratings of the party in power took another hit. Without the benefit of a make believe, outraged, citizenry, the rest of this political theater collapses.

Back