Closed Traffic at a Towered Airport

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
I'm familiar with flying into and out of C and D airports, but if I wanted to do some pattern work at one, what's the correct radio procedure? I know when I initially contact the tower I can request T&Gs, full stops, full stop taxi back, "the option", etc., but once I'm on the go, do they call the crosswind and base, or do I? And do they usually approve the landing on base?

"XYZ tower, Cessna 123 requests the option, closed traffic" That works at my class D. The tower will eventually say "Cessna 123 cleared for the option Rxx, make left traffic." Or they might tell you to make right traffic, just depends on who else is in the pattern or approaching. It could change from pattern to pattern, too. Just fly the pattern normally, if they want you to extend your downwind they'll tell you, and if you have trouble seeing other landing traffic, you can ask them to call your base. On the the next pattern, on downwind, you can then request the option again, or whatever you want. You'll have to get landing clearance for each circuit. On your last pattern, just request the option again and tell them you'd like a departure to the n/s/e/w or whatever direction.

Last edited:
I know at the Class C, generally I tell clearance delivery that I'm just doing pattern work. Then the tower will just clear me "Cleared for takeoff runway 23L, make right closed traffic for 23R". At the appropriate time, the tower will clear me for the option and I'm good. If I'm done, when they clear me, I let them know it's a full-stop.

On the the next pattern, on downwind, you can then request the option again, or whatever you want.

At my home field, once they tell you to make closed traffic, you don't have to ask for the option each time. They just clear you for it automatically at the appropriate times until you tell them you're terminating.

I've radioed tower saying position and inbound for closed traffic. Hasn't been a problem.

At my home field, once they tell you to make closed traffic, you don't have to ask for the option each time. They just clear you for it automatically at the appropriate times until you tell them you're terminating.
And after the first landing, they tell you to taxi back with tower and report termination (I fly out of the same airport). Right traffic unless they tell you otherwise.

That's probably the case everywhere - I did almost all my PP training at a class-D and my CFI wanted me to treat each pattern as if it were a separate flight. Some of it seems to depend on the controllers. Most know what you want to do and clear you for the option or whatever you first requested automatically on downwind, but we always seemed to have one guy who wouldn't clear you unless you requested it. But - you will still need to hear "Cleared for 'whatever'" before you land each time.

Early in my solo career I wasn't supposed to do touch and goes, just full stop/taxi back. So I'd request a full stop/taxi back and closed traffic, the tower controller would clear me for full stop/taxi back - and he specifically told me that clearance does count as taxi clearance once I land, so no need to get a taxi clearance again after I get off the rwy.

I've radioed tower saying position and inbound for closed traffic. Hasn't been a problem.

I do also advise them I'm planning on doing Stop & Goes, just so they have a sense of the timing when other traffic shows up.

I'm familiar with flying into and out of C and D airports, but if I wanted to do some pattern work at one, what's the correct radio procedure? I know when I initially contact the tower I can request T&Gs, full stops, full stop taxi back, "the option", etc., but once I'm on the go, do they call the crosswind and base, or do I? And do they usually approve the landing on base?

You just fly a normal pattern unless told otherwise. If there's no other traffic the only words from the tower should be "cleared touch and go" or "cleared for the option" once per lap.

Yep, it's as easy as the others have said. Doing pattern work at a towered airport is also a good way to become more comfortable with talking on the radio.

At KSAF, the tower usually tells me to report midfield on the downwind, but then they'll usually clear me to land before that (I usually fly in the early morning... in a slooooow aircraft. :))

It's also good practice for adapting when additional traffic changes up the routine. I think I've flown both left and right traffic for each runway at SAF by now, and occasionally the tower will call for a 360 for spacing, or they will call my base turn to accommodate faster planes on final.

Last edited:
You turn crosswind on your own. Generally off the departure end once 300 ft below pattern altitude. Clearing you on a base is a technique. They can clear you anywhere in the pattern. Them telling you to report base is also another popular technique. They might not tell you to report anything. Just make sure you get a clearance prior to landing!

If cleared for the option you don't need to advise or request further which option you're doing.

C152: request the option.

Twr: cleared the option runway 9.

C152: thanks...I'm gonna do a stop and go.

Twr: that's great, you're cleared the option.

C152: however, I might just do a touch and go...

Twr: cleared the option. Report upwind or clearing the runway.

C152: I've always wanted to try short field...

Twr: grrr

Last edited:
:yeahthat: :rofl:

Just as others have said. I tell them I'm X miles out inbound for slam-n-go's. They tell me to report left base. Then once I clear the runway on upwind they usually tell me to report midfield downwind every time there after. At that point they clear me to land or extend base or do a barrel roll. Rinse and repete.

Last edited:
If cleared for the option you don't need to advise or request further which option you're doing.

Though if you know what you're going to be doing and it's different from what you've been doing (for example, you've been touching and going for the last hour and you're coming in), it doesn't hurt to let the tower know.

Though if you know what you're going to be doing and it's different from what you've been doing (for example, you've been touching and going for the last hour and you're coming in), it doesn't hurt to let the tower know.

Nope, doesn't hurt. You could also tell them this circuit you're going to turn your baseball hat backwards. Doesn't hurt.

Nope, doesn't hurt. You could also tell them this circuit you're going to turn your baseball hat backwards. Doesn't hurt.

This is true. But if they have inbound traffic, it may help them space things out. I dunno. It just seems like the courteous thing to do, so they don't have to worry about me any longer. Though I'm not ATC, so what do I know.

Usually when staying in the pattern, I'm instructed to "Report midfield downwind." My instructor said that means to call with the information of which downwind I am on immediately after doing my downwind check, "xyz Tower Cessna678 left downwind 34." You can eliminate the "xyz Tower" after the first time.

At my airport, I just fly the pattern normally. I request takeoff clearance to remain in the pattern. They say cool beans and give me the go-ahead, and sometimes they specify a particular pattern (right or left). I usually have to report mid-field and naturally I state my intentions at that point. I'm usually cleared right then and there if it's not busy. Otherwise, I may have to extend downwind or something.

John, there is no such thing as "correct procedure." The AIM and Advisory Circular 90-42F offer recommended phraseology, but there is no regulatory requirement to use specific words. In fact, AIM 4-2-1 gives you the green light to say whatever you want to say.

You have received excellent advice from others.

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

Back