Closed Towers

ColoPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ColoPilot
You know what should be done with the closed ATC towers -- turn them into public observation decks for the airport with the CTAF broadcast on a speaker. What a great way to attract non-pilots to the airport and maybe encourage them to start taking lessons.

I know there are a dozen reasons why that can't/won't be done, but I can dream....

That's a great idea. I like it.

What's going to happen to the closed towers, anyways? Would they be locked up and kept vacant, perhaps the little radar screens and comms equipment taken off site, in case the towers might be reopened again or would they be demolished?

What's going to happen to the closed towers, anyways? Would they be locked up and kept vacant, perhaps the little radar screens and comms equipment taken off site, in case the towers might be reopened again or would they be demolished?
you might be surprised at what "equipment" is in some of these towers. Many of them have a phone, a radio, and a pair of binoculars.

You know what should be done with the closed ATC towers -- turn them into public observation decks for the airport with the CTAF broadcast on a speaker. What a great way to attract non-pilots to the airport and maybe encourage them to start taking lessons.

I know there are a dozen reasons why that can't/won't be done, but I can dream....

+1, great idea. Makes you wonder what they're actually going to do with them after they're closed.

+1, great idea. Makes you wonder what they're actually going to do with them after they're closed.

When KBJC built their new tower, the removed the old tower completely. Too bad, it was on the opposite side of the field from the new tower, outside the airport fence in the middle of the parking lot. It would have made a great observation deck, without any airport access issues.

Back