(Clip) Garmin Virb camera - Sussex NJ to Miller Airport NJ

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
New wingtip camera, Sussex NJ (KFWN) to Miller Airport (KMJX) during SuperBowl Weekend. Air Traffic controllers were slammed in the Bravo from the private jet traffic.

Results on new Garmin camera: great upgrade! We sold all our GoPro cameras for the new Garmin and the video quality is much smoother and image stabilized. The GPS metrics/overlays and ipad controls from inside the cockpit are a big plus, but the image quality is the most important. Huge improvement.

http://switchboxcontrol.com/news/2014/2/3/garmin-video-camera-sussex-nj-to-miller-airport-nj

Virb_sample.jpg

i purchased a virb elite. I'm having intermittent problems with it losing its connection to the iphone/ipad. basically it fails to connect to virb camera after its been running a while. I've updated to the latest firmware etc and app with the same results about a 1/3 of the time.

But, i do like the quality of the video..

Nice video .
But I don't see the quality of the video being any better than gopro.
Thanks for sharing .

Nice video .
But I don't see the quality of the video being any better than gopro.
Thanks for sharing .

I was thinking the same thing. I do like the little speed and altitude gauges tho.

My videos have been pretty terrible up until now! ha
check my vimeo page and you will see.

Ive been using only GoPro2, no experience with the Hero3.

Its something about the garmin image stabilization built in (via HD-tele mode) and the shape of the camera/mount. Im getting a much more stable video

This is just in my experience. FWIW

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a picture of how the Virb is mounted on your wing? I just purchased a contour+ 2 and am exploring the various mounting locations/options.

The GPS metrics/overlays and ipad controls from inside the cockpit are a big plus,

Does the WiFI maintain a good link to your ipad when its out on the wing like that? I also wonder how this would work while hooked up to a Stratus unit via WiFI? Seems like you would have to toggle between the two networks.

I just purchased the VIRB Elite (should see it tomorrow) to upgrade an old contour I have to borrow from a child unit of mine when I want to record something.

I'm using the garmin ads-b unit over Bluetooth. And Bose a20 on Bluetooth and the garmin camera via wifi

You can only be on one wifi at a time but Bluetooth more devices.

The mount is the standard one and I drilled a hole and put a wingtip screw through it

P

Back