Cliff Robertson Gone West

Too bad. I've always loved the movie "Charly" ever since I saw it in the theater as a kid. Years later I read the book "Flowers for Algernon" on which it was based. He did many good things for aviation too. Plus I thought he was incredibly good-looking...

He shall now reap his rewards for being one of the good guys..

Cry not for the dead, cry for your self, for their not being here.

Great actor, great pilot, who flew until the end. I heard him interviewed after 9/11 where he was actually piloting one of his many planes during the attack. He was somewhere near Allentown, PA I think.

Ditto. I loved his role in my all-time favorite WWII movie "The Devil's Brigade."

RIP, Cliff.

Crap. Cliff was one of my favorites and I was thrilled to talk to him at Oshkosh.

I was just checking out PT-109 again last night.

I was sick as hell over the weekend. Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks for the post. RIP.

Great actor, great pilot and a great guy. His movie "633 Squadron" is one of my favorites and was one of my inspirations for becoming a bomber pilot.

I've seen PT 109 countless times. Watching it now. :)

Cliff Robertson was a favorite of mine. Whenever I saw his name in the credits I knew it was a cinch I would watch. I have a 20 part series of CDs of aviation combat films he hosted and narrated.

PT 109 is on the Military channel tonight.

I caught a peice and laughed that the cast includes Robert Kulp and Robert "only out walking my gun" Blake.

They said that Joe Kennedy Sr. was a founder of RKO and planned the movie to cement JFK's re-election bid.

I can tell you that a kid of that era was indoctrinated with the PT-109 story. They did a country-wide tour of JFK artifacts (maybe for the Kennedy Library?) including JFK's oval office desk (or a reproduction?) and the actual carved coconut. I saw it up close.

Last edited:
Ha, yeah Bob Kulp from "I Spy" fame, and Blake had been an actor all his life, from the days of "The Little Rascals" (Spanky and our gang). Also, the great charcter actor, James Gregroy who, had a superb role in "The Manchurian Candidate", and then was later seen as Inspector Luger on "Barney Miller".

PT 109 was big when I was a kid in the 60's also. In Wildwood Crest, NJ (down the shore) they even had a PT boat ride that visited many of the historical WWII emplacements in and around south Jersey. I always thought JFK was the biggest hero of the war. Later he said that most of the book/movie, etc was fiction, but I do think the guy was just being modest.

Back